Carolina Beaches, dog friendly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking to take a long weekend trip this summer with the pooch, possibly to a SC beach. I'm very familiar with Florida gulf coast beaches, not so much Atlantic beaches. I don't know what beaches and beach accommodations allow dogs. We would consider the North carolina coast and Georgia as well. We're looking for nice accommodations, not especially upscale. Any suggestions regarding lodging and beaches would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the Outer Banks it varies by township. Many only allow leashed dogs offseason (Sept - May) but a few allow them on the beach during the high season: Duck, Nags Head (leashes only), and Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Old May 11th, 2005, 05:55 AM

I think that Isle of Palms (Charleston, SC) allows dogs on the beach after a certain time of day (like after 5 or so). You could stay at Indigo Inn in downtown Charleston because they allow pets and offer free parking (which is a great deal in Charleston). I amnot sure about the accommodations in Sullivans or Isle Palms as to whether or not they allow pets in them.

Folley Beach (same area) also allows pets and some of the houses their allow pets to stay as well.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:19 AM

The Brunswick Islands in NC are similar. In season, you may not be able to have them on the beach at all, or if so not, until later in the evening. Off season, it is typically anything goes.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:49 AM
GoTravel

I don't know of any SC beaches that allow dogs Memorial Day through Labor Day. I always thought it was a state wide law leash or no leash.

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Jekyll Island, GA allows dogs.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM

In the Myrtle Beach area, it goes like this.

Horry County (the areas north and south of MB proper); dogs allowed on the beach on a leash--but June 1 to September 1 only before 9:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m. Per:
http://library8.municode.com/gateway...ue&vid=default

Myrtle Beach; dogs on beach only before 9:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m. from May 15 through Septmeber 15, per:

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/animallaws.html

North Myrtle Beach; same as MB; see:

http://www.nmb.us/depts/parkrec/beach.php#rules

And here's an interesting guide for beach/dog lovers:

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...hstateSC.shtml

Hope this helps!
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Most of the beaches, if not all, on Topsail Island, NC allow dogs. My late business partner used to take his Retriever all the time.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Corolla in the Outer Banks is very dog friendly. We had no problem finding a house rental that accepted dogs and dogs are allowed on the beach at all times. No one patrols and we were even able to take our dog off the leash to let her play and swim. Since it is so dog friendly, you will also probably encounter other dogs there as well.