Best B&B in White Mountains Area

Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best B&B in White Mountains Area

We are traveling to the Vermont/New Hampshire area October 12-16 for a sample of New England foliage. There are 2 of us and we are staying in a Crofter’s Green cottage near Jay’s Peak the first 2 nights as our first base camp and we’re thinking of staying somewhere in the White Mountains area the second 2 nights unless we should split the nights. We fly out of Boston Regional at 8:00 PM on the 16th so we won’t have to rush on Saturday. We would like to stay in a quaint and affordable Bed & Breakfast that hopefully would have a fireplace and private bathroom in the room. We’re not looking for something that offers fine dining or spa treatments but something that is more relaxed since most of our day will be out driving and hiking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 06:14 PM
J62

Jay peak is about as far north in VT as you can get so Oct 12-16 is a bit later in the foliage season. Still pretty, but the brilliant sugar maples may have falledn by then I recommend you look somewhere further south like the Berkshires for the 2nd two nights to hit foliage not so far past peak. Sturbridge/Lee/Lenox Mass area for example.

Southern NH might be an option but I'm not familiar with NH myself.

Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 01:50 PM

I grew up in Lincoln North Woodstock NH and this is a gateway to the White Mountains. You're very close Franconia Notch, The Flume gorge and many other iconic NH places. Lincoln/North Woodstock has tons of B&B's, and the town offers lots of local dining options.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great tips! It means a lot to get advice from someone with firsthand experience.
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 01:51 AM

Be careful about hiking in the White Mountains mid October as weather can change quickly. I agree you are too far north for good color. By mid October it is usually past peak in Concord NH area. Still pretty but not vibrant. Should you want to stay in this area there are actually a lot of hiking trails in the city of Concord plus a hawk migration viewing platform at Carter Hill orchard. If you want more elevation, Mt Kearsarge is a short drive away in Warner or the steeper trail on the Wilmot side.