Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking stay at beach area with kids after NH White Mountains

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Kristen

Hi. We are going to Lincoln, NH for 3 days starting 8/2. We then want to spend 3 days at the beach with the kids. There will be two families with kids age 4,3,1&1. Any condo recommendations near Loon Mountain Resort, NH? What city should we stay in if the kids want to play at a sandy beach (thinking of Wells Beach, ME or Boothbay Harbor, ME, but looking for other ideas)? We will probably have to fly into Boston. The other family is driving from ~1.5 hours north of NYC. THANK YOU!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Byrd

Wells is a good idea; not sure about Booth Bay. Short Sands Beach and Long Sands Beach in York are both good for kids too. If you don't have to fly into Boston, think about Manchester, NH, or Portland, ME.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:20 AM
gc

Kristen,

At Loon, try the Mountain Club. It's right at the base of the slopes and is quite nice. The Village of Loon, Clearbrook and Coolidge falls are right across the street from the mountain, have a wide variety of accomodations, and feature two nice outdoor pools and really nice tennis courts.

To get a full rundown on all the properties in the area, go to http://www.lincolnwoodstock.com/.

As for your beach trip, Rye New Hampshire is nice, or head a little further north to Kennebunkport, Me.

Post more questions...we have a place at the Village and can give you some pointers, depending oupon what you want to do.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Native

For your family beach stay, I'd recommend either the Spar Hawk Inn in Ogunquit or the Tides Inn By the Sea at Goose Rocks Beach in Kennebunkport. Both are in Maine. I think you'll have a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Kristen

gc,
We are going to be attending some concerts while we are at Loon, but we will definitely need some kid friendly distractions. Money is always an issue and we prefer to stay away from the amusement park scene... Thanks for the great information.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:46 PM
joesorce

Boothbay doesn't have much for kids in the way of beaches, it's more rocky-coast. Wells is a good choice, but pricey in summer.

Meredith N.H. has lots of lakeside cabins and motels in the area, kids really enjoy it.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:52 AM
gc

Kristen,

You're going to the soul festival? That's great. Have you been there before?

For stuff on the cheap...
The caves at the top of Loon will be lots of fun for the kids to crawl around in...don't waste your money on the Polar Caves.
Go to the Flume, and do some hiking in Franconia Notch
The lady's bathtub is a great swimming hole in the river
Sunrise from Kancamangus pass is breathtaking
East, along the Kancamangus highway, about 20 miles is the Lower falls area, a natural waterslide and swimming area.
Take the Kids to Clarks for the trained bear show
Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill is great for breakfast.

Expect crowds. There were 15,000 people at Loon for the festival last year.

Have a great trip!