Making the most of drive from NYC to New Gloucester, ME

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Husband and I are going to a friend's New Gloucester, Maine wedding in early September (September 10). We're driving up from NYC that Thursday morning (September 9) and I'm determined to start the vacation spirit the minute the wheels turn since we only can take a few days from work and we're vacation-starved. Any lovely (and route-convenient) points of interest and especially any good lunch/coffee stops we can hit on our way up to make the "commute" feel festive? I think we'll be anxious to get home efficiently on Sunday, but we can be leisurely on Thursday, since wedding events don't start until Friday night. It's been easy to find things to do once we're in Maine, but how can we make the road trip up fun, too?
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 01:32 AM

Can you specify some ideas of fun? For example, it will add more than an hour to your trip if after going thru Hartford you continue north thru western MA to Brattlboro VT then east to Concord NH comtinuing to Portsmouth and connecting with I95. You would be driving thru more rural areas. Do you want to visit wineries or breweries ? Do you want to stop for a hike? Do you want to visit a historic spot?

If you take the quickest route I would vote for aiming to habe lunch in Portsmouth NH at one of the restaurants with a deck on the water. You could also stretch your legs exploring the shops or Prescott Park. Or you could aim for Fort Williams Park south of Portland and a lobster roll from Bite Into ME food truck. Bring bag chairs and pick a spot looking out on Casco Bay.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 06:31 AM
J62

Even before I read dfrost's post my input was going to be Portsmouth. It's a simple easy off/easy on from I-95 and directly on the way.

The stretch between Hartford and Boston, while scenic, rolling green hills, isn't remarkable. We drive across Mass. to ME several times a year and just want to get through the state in one shot. Seeing and smelling the ocean once we reach Portsmouth or points further north we may stop.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I love the idea of stopping at Portsmouth. That is about 4 hours in to the trip. dfrostnh's mention of a hike is also grand! I'm going to see if I can sleuth an easy one not too far off the route about 1 to 2 hours in. but the ramble off I-95 after Hartford is intriguing too. Maybe I'll do both. Going to do a little sleuthing and I'll let you know what I plan, ultimately. thank you so much!

Old Jun 25th, 2021, 01:56 AM

If you want to work up an appetite before lunch Wagon Hill Farm is a quick drive west of Portsmouth. You don,t know until you do the walk/hike that the trail goes to the waters edge.