Best Airport for Yellowstone

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Sandy

Best Airport for Yellowstone

Hello - Any opinions which airport (Bozeman, Jackson, Idaho Falls, West Yellowstone or Cody) is preferable when planning a trip to Yellowstone? I've read the mileage charts but sometimes those are misleading time-wise. Thanks!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Anne

Don't know if this will help, but we flew into Jackson last summer for our trip to Yellowstone. I seem to remember that more of the major airlines fly into Jackson. It is about an hour and a half drive to Yellowstone from there and the good part is that you drive right through Grand Teton National Park. It's beautiful!! In fact, we spent four days at each park. We flew in on American Airlines and it was a BIG plane that we were surprised flew into such a small airport! Let me know if you have more questions.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:39 PM
June

I agree, Jackson. This way you are close to the Tetons, which you (hopefully) would have planned to see anyhow.
I've flown into Bozeman twice, there isn't much to see there (although it's a college town and a good place to get a coffee or buy some music). It's a good 2 hour drive to the north entrance of Yellowstone.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Connie

West Yellowstone would be the closest.

SLC would probably be cheapest.

Jackson you get to see the Tetons.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:06 PM
amy

We flew into West Yellowstone last fall and loved it. They close at the end of September for the season (winter weather) and we had one of the last flights out at the end of the season. No hassles about anything, its too small for that! One gate, 2 rental car places, one check-in counter... Very convenient to the park, the gate is right there, but we drove about 45 minutes to Old Faithful Inn - including stops to check out the park - but that was in September, very little park traffic then - I've heard it can crawl during peak season. Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks are an amazing vacation! Enjoy!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Karen

My husband and I are also going to Yellowstone this year - in September.

We are flying into Cody and flying out of Jackson. That way we will not be backtracking to return to the airport.

Yellowstone also has a great chat room with help from people who live in the area. It's www.yellowstone-natl-park.com
You should check it out. They helped me plan my itinerary