bear viewing floatplane trips to Katmai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering whether or not a full day floatplane bear viewing trip to Katmai Coasts is still worth in the second half of august. I have heard different versions on this issue and I cannot change my vacation period.
Brooks Falls is the best spot in July and September; southern Katmai coasts is supposed to be good in august but I would prefer to hear from any of your experience before paying over $ 500 each of us 4 !!!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM
jq

Fabio,
We were in Katmai NP last Aug 31st and we thought it was a great trip. We went with Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp day bear tour. We did not see large number of bears or see them all together. I think we saw 5 all together, but we spent about 4-5 hrs with one large female as she was fishing constantly while we were there. We also saw one at a distance who looked at us and went other direction. We also saw resident female and two adult cubs who were coming towards us when we had to leave in order to fly out before high tide. We talked to the people we were with and the owner the next day and they said they had seen at least a dozen that evening after dinner fishing and playing down by the river.

We thought it was good, First time we have been 15' from one just sitting there watching them and they ignored us. I have a few pictures posted if you care to look.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Just returned from day trip with Emerald Air on July 7. Had a wonderful day following the bears with them. Saw over 20 bears digging clams and grazing in the grasses. Several times we had small groups of bears all around us.Later this month they will be following the bears as they move to eat salmon. Very informative trip observing how bears live instead of just taking pictures of them. Great company to go with.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi jq and Karen

thanks a lot for your feedback !!
I was just wondering which company to fly from Homer area. Emerald Air and Bald Mountain seem to be the most reliable. If not or any other suggestions, please let me know !!

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
jq

Fabio,
Both of them are good companies, but Hallo Bay Wilderness camp is the only ones to have an overnight camp there with staff who stay there all season. Check them out at HalloBay.com. We were very pleased with the staff and our guide.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM

We were on a day trip with Hallo Bay last Thursday. It was a great experience and worth the money if you want to get up close to brown bears on their turf. We saw up to 8 at one time. But that is not as important as to how close you get to them. Salmon hadn't started to run yet but sould be running through August. I would recommend Hallo Bay versus the confined Brooks Falls trip.

STCOLT
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

thank you

well I will for sure contact Hallo Bay.

My hope is that end of august is still good regardless of the company !!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

I also checked Hallo Bay

It sounds good, too.
A bit cheaper than Emerald or Bald Mountain, but we have to bring our own food !
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:49 PM

I just returned from a bear viewing trip with Emerald Air and I was very impressed. Chris and Ken started the bear viewing to Katmai from Homer. I read they were the best from folks posting and they are incredible. Chris knows her stuff about the bears and Ken knows how to fly!! Flying into the remote areas can be tricky in Alaska with wind and weather changes. I was very impressed with his flying and his qualifications! It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend Emerald Air! Don't worry about the food--take a sandwich and a couple of bottles of water and have a blast! Who wants to eat when you are surrounded by bears in an incredible setting. Believe me, eating is the last thing you will be thinking about. All I wanted to do was watch and take pictures!!! Chris and Ken find the bears and then land! Have a great time!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

thank you hayax

hope they will find the right spot for bears also late august, when we come !! I would have preferred right now in July but I could not change my vacation time !!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:15 PM

I went with Emerald Air at the end of August last year. We saw several bears hiking around and learned alot about Katami. It was incredible.I agree with hayjax when it comes to the pilot. Enjoy.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you !!

I fixed with Emerald air for aug 28th.
My 10 yrs old son decided for that company, as if compared to the other two options Bald Mountain and Hallo Bay, Emerald doesn't just stop a few yards from seaplane for pictures of bears !! With Emerald we will walk more than 4 miles over the day alond the streams following bears !! This is what made the difference for us !!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Glad you decided to go with Emerald. We loved our trip. If you want a preview of what you will see, get the IMAX movie BEARS. We rented it from Netflex this weekend. Chris from Emerald does the part about brown bears in Alaska.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I am sure you will like your trip with Emerald Air. They have a great reputation. However, you are mistaken about the experience Hallo Bay offers, so I am posting this to make sure futures readers do not think your conclusion was based on fact. On a day trip with Hallo Bay one leaves the beach where the plane lands to walk to where the bears are. This could be in the meadows, or on the beach as the bears dig for clams or on a stream where the bears catch salmon when they are running.

STCOLT
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:47 AM
jq

I was just going to reiterate what STColt said. Hallo Bay is the only company that has a wilderness camp on this side of Katmai where the guides and overnight visitors stay. With Hallo Bay, you land on beach rather than seaplane and after using camp restrooms and getting your snacks and lunches, yo walk all over the river bed and streams. But you will have a good trip with Emerald Air.