Search

Oahu or Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu or Maui?

We have previously visited Maui and Kaui. We are considering a trip to Oahu or back to Maui in December. If we go to Oahu, we would like to stay on the North Shore because of the big surf (we're not surfers - just going to watch). We really loved Maui though and are torn. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I always recommend Oahu because I think it is the best and has far more things to do than any other island.

A lot of people like to stay on the north shore because of the surf there in the winter.

But, because you just like to watch, you might want to think about Punalu'u and Hau'ula area. It's fairly mild there in the winter and still only a few miles from the north shore beaches.

This area has a lot of beach homes for vacation rentals. One that friends stayed at in Punalu'u had everything including boogie boards and snorkel equipment and basically a private beach.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Maui would be my first choice, but the North Shore area is beautiful. Could you split your time between the two?
That's what we did this past May.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:34 PM

I vote for Oahu. Dusty got it right -- Oahu offers more options for things to do than Maui does. It also has beautiful, quiet beaches and gorgeous scenery, as Maui does. BUT, it also has an almost endless choice of activities, restaurants, shopping, a jumpin' city to drive into should you choose (or not), and true Aloha spirit and "real" Hawaii. We found Maui to be really overrated and were disappointed after having stayed on Oahu. JMO.

Just don't believe anyone who says Oahu is "just a big city on the beach," and that it's too crowded. People who say that have never left Honolulu/Waikiki, and don't have a full grasp of the magic of this island.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:55 PM

One more vote for Oahu!! I love that island.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Me too, me too, me too!!!
Oahu
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
May I tag on and ask... what are other cities/towns to stay in on Oahu?

I've been to Waikiki/Honolulu several times and love it myself, but have been asked to find a place for a family reunion trip... on Oahu but outside Honolulu. Looking for hotel or condo (not mega resort) hopefully in a town where they'd be some shops/restaurants or activities we could walk to. Does the North Shore fit this description?