Bear viewing at Redoubt Bay???

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear viewing at Redoubt Bay???

We are planning a 2007 trip to Alaska and are looking forward to bear viewing as a trip highlight. Does anyone have any experience with this at Redoubt Bay? We are thinking of taking a trip there with Rust's Flying Service from Anchorage. It's really pricey and I'd like comments from anyone who has experience with either Rust's or Redoubt Bay to decide if it is worth the money.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:57 AM

Angler,

Not sure why no one has posted a response to your question. WHat I have noticed as that traffic on this board seemed to die down after Sept - not many people heading NOrth at this time of year I guess.

From what I learned last summer from this board was that the majority of the folks fly out of Homer and head over to the Katmai area - exactly where on that penisula depends on the time of year.

We used Emerald Air, but there are others. If yo like I can send you links of the outfitters we researched. Are you firm on having to go to Redoubt Bay? Have you done a search on the forum for "Redoubt Bay"?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM

I'm also interested in bear watching. Emerald Air seems to be the "one to use". We will be in Homer for a week. Is that the only way to see bear, except for Denali?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I am by no means an expert on the possibilities for bear viewing from Homer, but my wife and I did use Emerald Air in Sept '06. We had an absolutely fantastic time. There are many posts here on this board that discuss the different outfitters that people have used. Do a search for "bear viewing" or "bears"

We did our research by checking what others had said and then e-mailing the three main outfitters from Homer. They are
Emerald Air
Bald Mountain Air
Hallo Bay

We asked them where they would be taking customers during the time we would be there, what there "success" rate was with seeing bears at that time of the year, etc.

Emerald Air seems to be the most popular on this board, but we used them because I actually called them and spoke directly with Chris. I got a good "vibe" from talking with her and it felt right.

Our day with them was unbelieveable. We saw many bears and up close. Here is a link to some of the photos I was able to get,

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554094161SKNtir

Homer seems to be the best place to start your bear viewing adventure and besides it is neat town with other things to experience. You need to plan on staying in Homer the night before since you'll be getting an early start and its best to plan on staying the night you get back as well. A few extra days in Homer would be good as well.

As for bears in Denali, they are smaller and the chances for seeing them up close are no where nearly as good as if you go with one of the outfitters from Homer over to Katmai NP & Preserve.

Just my $0.02. As I said, I only taken one trip to AK and there are many on this board with more experience than I. They're the ones that steered me toward Emerald Air.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Many thanks - great pictures of the bears and of your whole trip - that is our exact trip - Homer, Seward, and Denali...I'm taking notes...good ideas
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:55 AM

Farm123,
I'd be happy to share any info you think would help you with your planning. Last year at this time was when I started doing our preliminary planning. Although it was our first trip to AK, I feel that I did some fairly detailed investigating and if I can answer any questions I'd be happy to do so, as is most everybody on this forum.

If you use Emerald Air I am sure you will be pleased. Make sure to take a good camera. I bought a 35mm Digital with a zoom lens and a large capacity memory card. In the evenings I would download the day's pictures to my laptop so I would have an "empty" memory card for the next day's photo adventures.

Wow, just talking about it makes me want to go back!

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:32 AM

flying from Homer is the best choice: less flying time than Anchorage and more time with bears !

We booked with Emerald but unfortunately the trip was cancelled due to weather condition that day. We were very lucky to find 2 seats the next day with Baldmountain (Emerald was fully booked)!
We had a great day along the Katmai coast, saw many bears very close to us, and it did not rain !
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

jfmkem
We're trying to decide which excursions (fishing, Kenai Fjords, bird-watching, etc.) to take where? Homer? Seward?
Plus, which is the best place to see the Ididorod?? race dogs? Is it too touristy?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:25 AM

Farm123

Send me an e-mail so I can reply to your e-mail address about the questions posted above.
My e-mail is [email protected]