Beaches-Nantucket Sound

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:00 AM
susan

Beaches-Nantucket Sound

We're traveling to the cape (Harwichport) early August and would like to know how warm or cold the waters of the sound are.

Thanks

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:34 AM
amy

i go to nantucket a couple times during the summer. coming from the north east coast...nantucket ocean waters are very cold ei. cramps in the arches of your feet, heart pulpitations. the harbor and sound are less so. usually late august is more bearable. also warmer in the shallower waters.

also depends where you are coming from and what you are used to..

Old May 16th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Nikki

Nantucket Sound has some of the warmest beaches on the Cape. Not to be confused with the ocean beaches on Nantucket, which are cold, as are the ocean beaches on the Cape.

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:39 PM
susan

Thnaks for the info, we're used to Lake Huron which gets to about 63-70 degrees late summer. The brochure where we're staying at (Harbor Breeze Inn) says Nantucket sound.

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:03 PM
nina

Amy, the water is too cold for you? we go a few times every summer and always go swimming. Now I will admit that it is painfully cold in June (yes, we go in, even in June, but we run out quickly), but by August the water temp is fine. Unless you are used to caribbean water, the swimming should be great.