Beach resort - Ritz Feeling - Ritz Price

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach resort - Ritz Feeling - Ritz Price

We are looking to go to SW Florida and love the Ritz Hotels. For this trip, we don't want to spend that kind of moolah. We don't know much about SW Florida but love the idea of a beachfront spa resort with golf either nearby or at the resort. We want to be able to walk, take a quick taxi or moped through town. We don't really want to rent a car. But do want to do things other than beach, spa and golf.

I guess we are kind of looking for Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard down south. It is just my husband and I, sans kiddos and we are both 35.

Any cities, towns, resorts come to mind?

Thanks!
Nicole
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah, the South Beach Ritz or the Naples Ritz... but in June or July! The prices are amazingly cheap compared to February. That's where we're going this June, to each of them for 4 nts. Yeah, June might stink in Florida, but that's the only time our child is off.

Steve R
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Naples Beach Hotel and Golf:

While this is not Ritz quality, it is a very nice facility that has had major upgrades in the past few years. It is close to Fifth Avenue and could easily be walked.

Look at:
http://www.naplesbeachhotel.com/resort/resort.htm

The other location that comes to mind is the Longboat Key Club. Nice course, complete facilities, lovely beach and very close to St. Armand's in the Sarasota area.

Honoria
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Forgot to add that the Naples resort has the most amazing collection of orchids. It is just beautiful. Maybe Patrick can give us a better update on the hotel.

Your Nantucket request would seem to beg for South Seas Resort on Captiva but it is isolated and still not up to standards yet after the hurricane. Hopefully soon.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:37 AM

So funny. I read this thread last night, searched my brain going up and down the west coast and couldn't think of a good suggestion. Then Honoria hit it -- the Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Resort -- just three blocks from where I lived for 17 years -- DUH.

The golf is right there, it's a great beach, they have built quite a big, new spa (which I know little about), and it is the closest resort to "downtown" Naples. The walk to Fifth Avenue South with its full array of restaurants and shops will be about 10 or 15 minutes, but through residential. The Naples Trolley also stops there so you can get to other places in Naples, including down to 3rd Street South, Tin City, or wherever.

By the way, you say you don't want to rent a car, but the cost of getting to and from the airport will probably equal a cost of a full week's car rental. If parking is free (and I think it is) a car would still be your best choice. Car rentals are so cheap here, we even do a one day rental just to get to the airport -- less than half the price of a shuttle, a tenth the price of a taxi.

I had thought of places like the Longboat Key Club, but there sure isn't much you can "walk to" from there. That's the problem with everything else I could think of.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Ritz Golf Resort in Naples has a quick shuttle to the beach resort (3 miles away)and you can use all their amenities. You sleep and play golf at the golf resort (which is very nice too) and spend the day at the beach resort. Best of both worlds for a fraction of the beach resort. I promise this is the last time I give this suggestion. I don't want the Ritz coming after me.