Be Sure To Recheck Your Flight Schedule

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be Sure To Recheck Your Flight Schedule

We will be flying into JFK, on United, on May 18. I periodically check on line for fare reductions. We each saved $230 last year on our SFO-JFK flight. ;-)

I just checked and couldn't find our 1:00PM departure flight. I called United and was told that that flight had been dropped and that we had been put onto a flight that left at 4:00PM, which arrives after Midnight. Luckily I was able to get on an earlier flight. She said that they would have notified me of the change ..... BUT WHEN???? Changes are happening daily, so don't forget to check regularly.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Thanks, Nina. Good reminder.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Reconfirming your flight should always be done....in good times and bad!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:29 AM

same thing happened to me this week with American Airlines... at least this week is when i just happened to check our schedule. who knows when the actual change happened. changes were make on both flight out and flight back - and they expect to drop 4 more flights after the first of May. lovely...
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:30 AM

... i mean made, of course...
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

We always confirm our flights, but by finding out the schedule change five weeks in advance, we were able to pick our new flight and seats. Does anyone know how in advance the airlines notify you. Our change was made within the last day or so, so I was lucky to catch it so soon. They automatically switch you to another flight, as they did with us, without offering you any options. If you catch it too late, than you are stuck with their selection.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Continental has always contacted me with a schedule change. Alaska Airlines, however, failed to contact me about schedule changes in May that they made in January shortly after I booked my flights to Alaska. Every flight had changed in some way and I had to re-book every segment. Luckily I caught it myself and was able to change my schedule back to more decent times that they had randomly assigned me. Everyone should make sure they check often before they leave.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Definitely a good reminder, nina66. If you have ticketed way in advance (which the airlines pressure you to do to save money), I think the Powers that Be are counting on your not checking. However, if you book the tickets and record your frequent flyer number with the reservation, the airline will contact you (or make some effort to do so). American is notorious for changing flight numbers (but, strangely enough, not the flight times) out of smaller markets (like my home airport, li'l LGB), but they always call me to alert me of the change. Since I'm always connecting through DFW, this is very important.

Caveat emptor, as always, is the rule for smart travelers. I think that for the last month before traveling, check mid-week, every week. Look for info changes on-line, then call to confirm. A little work, yes, but peace of mind is a good thing.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:47 AM

USAirways has always contacted me with a schedule change, sometimes several months in advance. I always periodically check the schedule anyway, just in case.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Found this to also be true on Delta. When I checked on my flight I found it had been changed not once but twice sine I'd purchased my ticket. The first change would have been unacceptable but the second one was livable. They told me to check weekly before we leave. Nervewracking ...
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:55 AM
TC

Our experience with schedule changes has been hit and miss. On International itineraries, we are usually contacted, but on domestic itineraries hardly ever. We had one instance in NY where we arrived at the airport two hours in advance thinking we had plenty of time for a leisurly lunch before boarding. When we checked our curbside luggage we found out that the Northewest Airline departure time had been changed to "NOW". We made a mad dash across the airport and begged to be boarded before the doors closed. Thank heavens for a great skycap who literally ran our bags across the airport to get them on board as well. (Big advance tip for this.) Moral of the story: never count on an airline to notify you of schedule changes.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:10 AM

This just happened to me when I returned from Houston last week. And it was United. I had originally booked the flight in November, and it seemed as though I received monthly "changes" from them. Nothing big, just slight time changes.

I only confirm international flights, and have never had a problem with United before, so I was thrown for a loop when I arrived at IAH and was told my flight was a "war casualty" and was "no longer in service." I never did receive an explanation as to why a domestic flight was hampered by a skirmish half way around the world. I was also told that United should have notified me. (I had all my notifications with me, and there had been nothing received before the 10 days prior, before I had left. I did get on another, later flight, and was not a happy camper.

When I returned home, I checked my mail - no notification from United. No phone call. No email. Nothing. Strange how before their bankruptcy they were contacting me monthly, then WHAM - nothing when they stop that particular flight.

Lesson learned here - confirm all flights 24 hours before leaving, regardless. Though what does one do when they find out their domestic flight is a "casualty of war" and is "no longer in service" 24 hours before they are due to leave? Ruin your vacation spending hours on the phone trying to find another flight? Seems rather pointless to me, but then maybe others know something I don't....
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

One year I called _very late_ the night before (read that as middle of the night packers) to verify our departure time on a flight to Paris. We arrived at the airport on time the next day, only to find out that our flight had been delayed and would be departing four - five hours late. Since friends had dropped us off, we had no choice but to sit there for six hours, even though we were only 45 minutes from home. We didn't feel that it was worth the extra energy, etc. to go home and there wasn't anywhere close by that we wanted to take a cab to. Now I call just before leaving home.