Search

BBQ in Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBQ in Phoenix

Hello,

My family and I are travelling to Phoenix at the end of this week and will be spending a few nights at the Tapatio Cliffs.

My question is:
Where can an English family find some wonderful Babyback ribs in a friendly location - preferably not a chain type place unless you suggest one that stands out.

thanks for your help
Andy
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Old El Paso BBQ in Scottsdale used to have great BBQ but it's been a few years since we've been there. Maybe others on this forum can confirm whether it's still good!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Try Honey Bear's
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Your concierge at the hotel should be able to help a bit, but in the meantime, El Paso is west of your hotel, on Peoria and about 27th Avenue.....I guess it really is somewhat of a chain, but is good, the beans are great!!! Then, a short drive from the hotel, on Cave Creek Road,on the east side of Cave Creek, is another BBQ place, can't think of the name. I might also mention a wonderful Italian place, Salute, actually within walking distance of your hotel, although since it is so hot, you might drive...really very good. If you want to have a little city tour from a 66 year old native, e-mail and I'll pick up the family for an old Phoenix tour...I live within couple of miles of Pointe Tapatio.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM

My family always drivers straight to El Paso from the airport. They have two kinds of BBQ sauce. (There are bottles on the table.)

Honey Bears is more casual like fast food.

I prefer El Paso because you can get ribs, chicken, salmon, salad (city slicker salad), etc.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM

I don't know if they have ribs but Greasewood Flats is alot of fun. It is in Scottsdale near the Four Seasons. It is very casual - you sit outside on picnic tables, there is a bonfire and dancing. They have burgers and pork sandwiches but I am not sure what else.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:38 AM

I'm not sure if they have ribs, but Sam's Cafe located in the Arizona Center near the convention ceter has great southwest cooking. We kept going back. But don't fill up on the baskets of freshly made corn chips and sweet potato chips before your meal arrives.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone for your advice.

I have seen Haps BBQ on the web - is this good bad or indifferent?
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM
SEW

Seriously - El Paso is the best for BBQ. The variety is great, and the ribs are wonderful. Trust this one.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Hey desertduds - just reread your earlier post!

Many thanks for your kind offer of a tour - you are a brave person who has obviously never met my jetlagged kids!!

If you want to meet up it would be lovely to have a local to give us the lowdown on the area. We are at the tapatio on 25th and 26th of august - if you feel strong enough to meet my young family please feel free to leave a message for us at the tapatio.

No obligation, no pressure!

thanks
andy
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a lot of votes for el paso. I always take advice when offered for free!

Thanks very much - my son is already starving himself to build his appetite for a full slab