Search

BBQ in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBQ in Austin

I'll be in Austing this summer, & I love BBQ! I was only there once before, but I remember a place called The Pit downtown. The special was beef ribs that day, and I was truly reminded of the opening scene in the Flintstones TV show where Fred was at the drive-in restaurant and his car got tipped over by the huge rib. I also love Rudy's and still order their sauce by mail. Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:41 AM
OO

If you'll have a car, the Saltlick. I love the atmosphere there (and the ribs), but it's a drive.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Dear OO: Yes, I've had their sauce - wow! I'm going to try and get there.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:12 AM
J62

My 3 favorites are

Rudy's, Loop 360 behind the gas station.
Ironworks, 1st St just W of I35.

Salt Lick if you can get there. Sauce is brown sugar based, not tomato like most of the rest. - they opened a new place a few years ago on Loop 360 by the bridge as well. Same food but not the same atmosphere.

I have mixed opinion about County Line. Both the one on the lake and the one on the hill are fun to hang out, watch the view. Menu is more varied for a bigger group.

If I had my choice though, it's Rudy's, 1/2 lb moist brisket, 1/2 lb ribs, 1 sausage link, stack of white bread, couple of Shiners and some slaw.

Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Dear J62: You're killing me!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:32 AM
J62

Travelling to Austin myself next week. Can you guess where I'll be eating?
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Hey J62: It sounds like you travel & love BBQ, so here's a humble tip - One of my favorite places is called King's - in Petersburg, VA about 1/2 hr south of Richmond. Great chopped pork, & they use a vinegary Carolina style sauce. Also excellent beans and slaw.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Smetz, et all --

If you're feeling adventurous (and you have a car), take a side trip to the community of Lockhart, TX, which is about 20 mi south of Austin off HWY 183.

Run don't walk to Kreuz Market. Best barbeque on the planet.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Brookside: Thanks for the reminder - I had heard of that place, but I was thinking it was in New Braunfels. By the way, do you know a good place to do the river rafting on the Guadelupe River? I seem to remember that the river went through New Braunfels, but I don't know if you can start the rafting trip there.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
J62

You can start toobing in Gruene.

www.toobing.com

There is another outfitter but this is the one I always use.

or you can go to San Marcos and rent from the Lions Club. It's a little closer to Austin.

http://www.centurytel.net/smlc/tuberental.html

Personally, I like the water in San Marcos better but the scenery on the Guadalupe. The natural scenery, that is.

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a huge BBQ fan. Every couple of years or so for the last 15, a group of us guys take leave of our senses and our wives to do two things over 4 days: eat as much BBQ as we can (usually 5-7 places a day) and watch 5 minor league baseball (mostly) games. Our last trip was to Texas a few years back, going from Dallas to Round Rock to Houston. Unfortunately we didn't have time for Austin. But, I couldn't agree more with Brookside: head to Lockhart. In addition to Kruez, there's Black's and Smittys. Those were our among favorites of the trip and Kruez's ranks up there with the best Q we've had the fortune to consume these past 15 years which is quite a compliment.

Dave
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:21 PM

I second the Salt Lick. They catered our wedding... Also, the Salt Lick is BYOB since they are in a dry county.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM
stjohnbound

I've never been crazy about BBQ mainly because of the sweet sauce but I have fallen for Ironworks big time. It's downtown Austin on Red River. Park across the street. It's very, very casual but oh so good!

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM

THE Salt Lick...outside Austin in Driftwood.
THE BEST in the world according to many opinions!
Bon Appetit Texas Style or
"Y'all Enjoy!"
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM

In my opinion nothing beats the "County Line"
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:38 AM

Like others have said, if you have a car then go to the Salt Lick (BYOB) in Driftwood. But for an even more countrified experience, go to Opie's in Spicewood, Texas. See all of the autographs by famous people that have eaten there and select your meat yourself by pointing to hunks and links in thier huge BBQ pits located outside the restaurant. When you are done, take a scenic drive along the Willow City Loop. Just gorgeous.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:08 AM
OO

For anyone interested, Salt Lick has a website and they deliver! UPS...it arrived cold even when we were living in FL. Our son treats his Dad (and me ) with this each Fathers Day. You miss only the wonderful atmosphere. We finished one rack last night, and are saving the other for his birthday next month. Now that we are back in TX, I want to make the drive over.

I'd love to try Kruez Market...found Lockhart on the map but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get there from here (we live between San Antonio and New Braunfels). Is it worth the trek, really?

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Kreuz is a place for barbeque purists.
Don't go expecting a lot of atmosphere -- it doesn't have any.

Nor do they offer side dishes like coleslaw or potato salad. They don't offer sauce, either, -- believe me, it doesn't need it! (I think you can get beans and beverages, and maybe bread.)

Heck -- I don't think they even have plates; the last time I went there, they served off of thick brown butcher paper.

The focus is strictly on the meat: tender, smokey brisket is the best.

As for the location/directions -- all I know is that it's on HWY 183 north of the town of Lockhart. Can't help with directions from New Braunfels. I go with my brother whenever I'm in San Marcos, and he always drives!

Absolutely worth it, IMHO!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Slate had an excellent series about barbecue several weeks ago. The writer took a road trip to Kansas City, Memphis and Austin/Lockhart. He's a bigger fan of Smitty's and Cooper's. Link is http://slate.msn.com/id/2118542/entry/0/

While you're at it, you need to get a copy of Robb Walsh's book, "Legends of Texas Barbecue". Lots of great suggestions of places to try. Also, the best description of the various styles of barbecue in Texas.

Two weeks ago, we went to City Market in Luling. Despite the ribs being slightly oivercooked, they were some of the best I have ever had.