Search

?? About Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? About Austin, TX

I will be visiting my daughter in Sept. Could anyone recommend some good restaurants for Mexican, Italian food in Austin. Also, I'm interested in antiques, are there any antique shops? I've been shopping on S. Congress already. Are there any quaint shops? Any suggestions on things to do? Would driving to Fredricksburg be worth the time. Somehow German food in Texas seems strange! Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:32 AM

You'd be surprsed to know that the original settlers in many Central Texas towns were from Germany. Just look at the names of the towns: Fredericksburg, Gruene, Boerne, New Braunfels, etc. ;-)

Yes, a drive through the Hill Country to do some antique shopping would be very worthwhile. Fredericksburg has TONS of wonderful antique shops, cute eateries, and the to-die-for German bakery on Main Street. If you're in Austin on the right weekend, I've also had a lot of luck finding good antiques at the Buchanan's City-Wide Garage Sale events held at the old coliseum in Austin.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:20 AM
P_M

>>Somehow German food in Texas seems strange!<<

Speaking as a Central Texan, that statement sound strange to me. That's like saying that eating Italian food in NY would be strange!! Once you get here you'll see what I mean. As Christie P said, central Texas was mostly settled by Germans, so that's why so much of that culture remains here. I second the recommendation to drive to F'burg, especially if you love antiques.

If you want good Mexican food, then check out Gueros on S. Congress, Chuy's, or Hula Hut on Lake Austin. I have heard of a great Italian place called Vespaio's. I've been meaning to check it out but I never seem to get down there. I would also like to recommend our new Whole Foods Market for dining. Yes, I know that sounds strange, but they have every kind of food you can name. It's sorta like a big ethnic food court, and don't miss the chocolate fountian, where they will dip just about anything in cholocate.

Have fun!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:48 AM

El Sol y La Luna on S. Congress, right next to the Hotel San Jose has great Tex-Mex and Mexican food. Best nachos I've ever had that go down great with a Dos Equis
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM
dcespedes

In addition to the German settlers many people don't know that our country's first Polish settlement is located in Panna Maria, Texas.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art900.asp

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Hi tede,

You don't say what part of Austin you will be in, but Chuy's always has good Tex-Mex and they are all over town. I haven't been to this place but it always gets rave reviews, it is more interior Mexican and it is upscale- Fonda San Miguel.

Fredericksburg is worth the drive. My spelling may be off,but we have eaten at a German place there called Altorf. It is on the main drag so it is easy to find. I also like Rathskellar's. Most restaurants will have German food on their menu even if not billed a german restaurant. Do stop and check out the Wildseed Farms just east on 290. You will pass it if coming from Austin.

In Austin, there is so much to do. Some of my favorite things are seeing a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse (it is a full service restaurant and bar in a movie theater. Very ingenius!), going to walk at Zilker Park, visiting Umlauf Sculputure Garden( in Zilker Park) and climbing the steps to Mount Bonnell.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:07 AM

If you get to New Braunfels, there's an antique mall where we've had good luck. Can't remember the name, but ask around - it's a big gray building. Fredricksburg has some good antique malls, too.

If you've ever listened to Mexican music and thought that it sounded a lot like German polka music, that's where it came from. Mexican musicians have changed the rhythms and play the accordian somewhat diffently, but it started with German musicians in Texas.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

A big thank you to all of you who responded to my message. I think I'm going to check out F'burg....it sounds like we would have a good time there! How far would it be to drive from Austin to F'burg? Would most stores/restuarants be open on a Sunday or Monday? During my stay I will be in North Austin. Also, where is the old coliseum located at? Hope I didn't offend anyone with my "strange" statement....guess what, I married a great German man! Thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM

Austin is lovely...yes Chuy's is a great Mexican Restaurant...and there are MANY others. For BBQ, again there are many, but the Salt Lick in the country close to Driftwood is world famous and a real experience.
You'd enjoy Fredricksburg and browsing the streets......
But do consider our wonderful artistic, lovely town of Wimberley!
It's about 45 min-1 hr. SW of Austin. (and closer than Fredricksburg).
Wimberley has many shops and antique stores and is a fun place....and IF you really like to browse try to be in Wimberley the first Saturday of either Oct or Sept(or any month Mar to Dec)...it's Market Day with almost 500 booths! Crafts, antiques, food,.........
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:10 PM

Fredericksburg is about 80 miles west of Austin. Just take US290 West. Depending on where in Austin you're starting from, it may take from 1.5-2hours.

Before getting to Fredericksburg, you'll pass by the LBJ Ranch. There are exhibits and guided trolley tour. Quite interesting.

BTW, there are also lots of Czech settlements in central Texas.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:11 AM
P_M

Hi, tede. No offense taken by the "German food" remark, I just got a small chuckle from it. I suppose that German food goes against the stereotypical cuisine of Texas. But you will be pleasantly surprised in many ways by Texas, especially Austin.

Welcome to Austin, I hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:21 AM
stjohnbound

When we were in Fredricksburg recently I noticed a lot of "Closed Wednesday" signs so you should be fine on Sunday or Monday. Have fun!

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:29 AM

One more thing...I didn't catch where you live, but it can be very hot in Texas in September (easily high 90s/over 100 in the early part of the month.)