Search

Austin and San Antonio at Xmas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:58 AM
ezs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austin and San Antonio at Xmas

We will be traveling to Austin on Christmas Day and staying for three nights before driving down to SAn Antonio for four nights (including New Year's Eve). I'm looking for any suggestions for must see activities. We are two adults and two teen girls (13 and 16). I read about the Segway tours. Has anyone done one? We did one in Paris last summer and had a great time. Any and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:53 AM

The Riverwalk in San Antonio wil be all lit up with luminaria lights for Las Posadas. It is beautiful!!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM
P_M

In Austin I recommend going to the neighborhood at 37 1/2 Street and Guadelupe to see the decorations. I cannot adequately describe this to you, you simply have to see it. It's an Austin tradition and it's unlike any decorations you will see anywhere else. I forbid you to miss this.

If you've never visited the State Capitol Building (or even if you have) I recommend seeing that. It is just as majestic on the inside as it is from the outside.

If you would like some good evening entertainment, check out Esther's Follies. This is a musical type show and it's hysterically funny. If it were a movie I would rate it PG 13, so I think it's OK for your kids.

Austin has a new Whole Foods Market at the corner of 5th and Lamar. This is not your typical grocery store. They have a HUGE food court with cuisine from every corner of the world. There are countless options for dessert. And don't miss the chocolate fountain, where they will dip just about anything in chocolate for you.

As ChristieP said, the Riverwalk in SA is absolutely beautiful, especially at night. I hope another poster from SA can provide more info.

Sorry, I know nothing about Segway tours.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:02 AM

You probably know that San Antonio hosts a college bowl game...I think it's on the 28th this year. We went one year after Christmas and the city was VERY crowded. If you arrive after the 28th, the crowds should be thinning by then.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:00 AM

>>>>
In Austin I recommend going to the neighborhood at 37 1/2 Street and Guadelupe to see the decorations. I cannot adequately describe this to you, you simply have to see it. It's an Austin tradition and it's unlike any decorations you will see anywhere else. I forbid you to miss this.
>>>>>

i agree. just a tip...park nearby and walk down the street rather than drive. it is much better than driving, you will see more, and you will avoid the traffic mess.

i haven't been to austin in a while but central market was the place for food...perhaps now whole foods is better as PM suggests.

the words "christmas bazaar" usually send shivers up my spine but this one is cool austin style..complete with great live music and cool artwork. it is the armadillo christmas bazaar at the austin music hall.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:06 AM
P_M

I'm glad you brought that up, walkinaround, it is indeed much better to walk down 37 1/2 St. than to drive. There's one house where you can go into the back yard, and that's well worth doing.

Central Market is still a terrific place for a meal and I recommend that too. But believe it or not, the new Whole Foods is even bigger and better.