Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

base for exploring the white mountains and the lakes

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 02:05 AM
erez

We are looking for a base for 3-4 days to explore the White Mountains and the Lakes Region in early October. Could use some good tips for places to look into and names of inns/hotels/motels that are nice and charming and not too expensive for a family of 4.
Thank you all NH lovers

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Donna

Where are you coming from? Driving or flying? Where are you going after? The mountains/lakes area is a lot to cover in four days, so could you please be more specific?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:08 AM
erez

Donna, I will be driving from Portland Maine and after a few days will leave for Burlington VT. If 3-4 days are not enough to cover the area, then I guess I'll settle with the main attractions, no need to drive all day and get to each and every point of interest.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Jim

North Conway.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:34 AM
travelbuff

I'm sure you will get alot of suggestions, but I would suggest the Meredith/Center Harbor area. Meredith is right on Lake Winepausauke (haven't had to spell that in many a year, and hope I am close). From there you can drive north to see Indian Head, Old Man of the Mountain and the Flume. Beautiful that time of year.

There are lots of outlets in the Laconia area as well.

I am sure there are sites for NH that would give you some nice places to stay, but I know there is a nice hotel overlooking the lake that was built not too long ago. Stop at Hartz Turkey Farm for dinner, and you might try and find the Annalee Doll Factory as well.

Enjoy your trip, that area is really beautiful, spent alot of summers there as a kid.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:26 AM
John

Early October is prime leaf-peeping time, so unless you want to spend most of your vacation stuck in traffic (or unless you know your way around Westside Road and the other back routes)you'd be well advised not to go anywhere near North Conway.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Donna F

I think the previous poster means the Inn at Meredith Falls. There are a couple of places to stay in the Meredith area and it will probably be congested. If you are coming mid-week you'll miss a lot of the traffic though. There are other less publicized places you could visit. Warner NH, for example, has a Foliage Festival over Columbus Day weekend. Nice family event. Also located in Warner is the Kearsarge Indian Museum. Keep going up the road and you can park and hike to the top of Mt Kearsarge. (Easy) If you do stay in the Meredith area, consider driving to Ctr Sandwich and Tamworth. Wolfeboro is beautiful. There is an agricultural fair in Sandwich Columbus Day weekend. Although there is a more direct rt from Portland to Conway, I think the drive from Portsmouth via Rt 4 to Concord is much prettier. Best restaurant in the Lakes Region is The Homestead. Maybe someone can give you an idea about prices at a ski area condo.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM
dick

Lincoln-Woodstock would also be a good place to headquarter...From there you would be an hour or less from most attractions in the mountains and lakes. Also there are several attractions within 10 miles including natural attractions like Lost River and the Flume...You are next to Franconia Notch State Park considered one of the best state parks in US and the Kancamagus Highway, a National Scenic Byway and considered the best fall foliage trip in NE....Good info at: visitwhitemountains.com Enjoy, Dick

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
Melissa

I'm with Dick! :0)

I have been to both N.Conway and Lincoln-Woodstock several times, and Lincoln-Woodstock definitely has the edge (especially in summer/fall) as far as family oriented activities and accomodations. I also think it is easier to reach the Lakes from that area (straight down I-93) opposed to the longer Rte.16 from N.Conway. Check out Clark's Trading Post, Echo Lake Park, Cannon Mt. and the above listed Flume and Lost River.
YOu could stay at Indian Head Resort or one of the Hotels at Loon Mountain.Can't help you with Lakes accomodations. There is a boat cruise or a train ride that you can take to explore the lakes region. I do believe the HOBO railroad located in Lincoln offers a day train tour down to the Lakes region.
I also agree with Donna as both are a lot to cover in 3-4 days. Would choose White Mts. over Lakes Region many times over, but it would depend on your personal interests.
Happy planning!

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the Inn at Crystal Lake Bed & Breakfast. (www.innatcrystallake.com) The B&B is in Eaton Village which is only 5 miles south of 16 in conway. Eaton village is on Crystal Lake, fabulous swimming and the guys have a canoe you can use. The B&B is gorgeous, clean, well decorated and very comfortable. Delicious food. complimentary cocktails (with a tip jar), I didn't mind the pub was really cute and a lot of fun. This is definately a great find.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:59 AM
gc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd vote for somewhere along I93, with Lincoln/Woodstock to the North, and Plymouth to the south.

From Plymouth, it's an easy (less than 30 minute) ride to Squam Lake, where they shot On Golden Pond, I believe, and another 20-30 minutes to Meredith and the northern shore Lake Winepausauke. The Common Man has opened a new Inn/Hotel in Plymouth...while by no means a quaint B&B, I'm sure the accomodations are excellent.

From Lincoln/Woodstock, you've got Franconia Notch 15 minutes to the north, North Conway and/or Mt. Washington 1 hour to the east, and Plymouth 20 minutes to the south.