Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Bardstown, Kentucky. Anyone been there??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Kay

Will be in this area in Oct. with friends. They are conducting some family business with their attorneys.Any thing interesting for me to do while waiting for them. Restaurants, shops, historical stuff?? or should I just take a good book to read???
Advice appreciated....

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:45 AM
starspinners

Some ideas of things to see/do in Bardstown : My Old Kentucky Home , the Civil War Museum, horse drawn carriage rides , tours of bourbon distilleries, antique shops..

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:00 AM
linda

Bardstown is a lovely, quaint town. They have a dinner train as well. Try the historic Talbott Tavern for a great meal and a nice, big bar

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Austin

I believe there's a very historic jailhouse in Bardstown, now an inn or a restaurant, that is supposed to be haunted -- might be perfect for October, when it's so close to Halloween!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:46 AM
SA

Make sure that you do @ least 2 of the Distillieries. I would recommend Jim Beam & Makers Mark. It will give you a real appreciation of what goes into making quality bourbon. The items others have mentioned are good ideas but I would take the time to travel to Louisville & visit Churchill Downs as well. Even if you have little interest in horses, the place oozes history. Enjoy ! A former Louisville resident.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:23 PM
more_info

And if you are in the vicinity of Louisville on October 4-6 you might enjoy the 46th annual St. James Court Art Show.. a large, juried art show; more than 650 artists will be exhibiting. The show is set up along the streets of Old Louisville, which is a registered historic preservation district with the largest collection of Victorian buildings in the United States.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 04:16 AM
my-old-ky-home

ditto the above