Baltimore Hotel Help Please

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Baltimore Hotel Help Please

We wil be spending one night in Baltimore. I would like to use accumulated Hilton points. NOthing is avaialable in the Inner Harbor area, but I can get rooms at a Doubletree at the Colonade (near Johns Hopkins) or an Embassy Suites near the airport. We will be visiting someone who lives at Fells Point. Is either hotel superior to the other? Are there others in the Hilton family that I'm missing that would be good? Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM

really dont know about the hotels specifically, but the Hopkins location seems better cuz it would be in the city. the airport is a good 20 minutes out of town, so if your friend is in Fells Point, i think you'd be better off with an in-city homebase.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:47 AM
MaureenB

We have stayed at the Doubletree at the Colonnade a couple of times, as our daughter attends Johns Hopkins U. Whenever anything is happening at Hopkins, the Doubletree is full because it's right across the street from the lacrosse field. It's a nice property, in a good neighborhood. Very high end restaurant, too.

I'd definitely recommend the Doubletree over staying at the generic airport location. Nothing to see or do there.

I think it's less than $10 to take a cab from the Doubletree to Fells Point. My daughter and her friends do it all the time. If your friend is driving you around, it would be much more convenient for them to take you to the Doubletree vs. the airport freeway drive.

For another option, we've liked the Tremont Park, closer in town. It's a boutique hotel with a nice breakfast included. It's been our second choice when the Doubletree is full.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM

if you end up staying accross from the lacross field, you MUST eat at One World Cafe. great GREAT food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. bar too!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM
MaureenB

One World is a good idea, for smoothies, coffee, baked goods, hot lunch, too. Also, you can walk to the Charles Village area where the students hang out. Donna's is there, and has especially good food, Eddie's market has great produce and fresh deli sandwiches and stuff.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the tips. just booked the last rewards room avaialbe at the Doubletree and look forward to our trip (we'll be going to Baltimore after a week at the MD shore). I love the idea of visting the area @ Johns Hopkins-never thought about it til it was suggested, but it's a perfect idea-we'll have our 2 teenage guys-one in college already, one a jr. in HS.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
MaureenB

Definitely visit Johns Hopkins. It's the most beautiful campus I've seen-- impressive architecture, brick walkways, at least three grassy quadrangles, lights at night... Of course, I'm prejudiced because my daughter loves it there. They are building a huge new complex on Charles Street, so you will see a square block of construction. They are also going to build a new entrance complex on the other side of campus. They spend money to beautify the place, and it keeps getting better.