COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Baltimore Hotel Help

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Baltimore Hotel Help

We will be in Baltimore in September... any recommendations on nice hotel (Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) We are playing tourist for 2 days.

Also appreciate any fun must do things.

Thanks !
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:10 PM
elr

I assume that you want to stay by the harbor,which is where most tourist stay, but you may want to check out the smaller, more charming hotels in the Fells Pt. area, which is also on the water.

I live in Balto, and when people come to visit, I avoid being around the Inner Harbor at all costs, and go to Fells Point. I also usually inculde a trip to the Balto. Museum of Art to its famous Cone wing, and a trip to the Great Blacks in Wax museum, which is not to be missed. Depending on when you're there, you might also want to take in an O's game. Also, I avoid Little Italy and head to Greektown. You should also check out the very beautiful area called Mt. Vernon, close to the Walters Art Museum and Peabody Institute. It's in the heart of the "cultural corridor."

ONe more thing, duckpin bowling is sort of a fun, local pastime.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:41 PM

We really enjoy staying right on the Harbor. Have booked the Hyatt and Renaissance with Hotwire and Priceline many times. Both are fine. The Harbor Court is a magnificent splurge (often they have excellent AAA rates).

A Duck Tour is a must do. And, taking the water taxi to Fells Point for dinner and back is a wonderful experience.

Note: Reservations essential for dinner at the more popular dining destinations.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:46 PM

Harbor Court is wonderful, I lived in the condo's there for short time before moving closer to DC a few yrs ago.

The Admiral Fell Inn in Fells Pt is nice. Theres another hotel in Fells Pt that I think is at the end of Wolfe St next to Belts landing Condominiums... It might be Harrisons Wharf or Hampton Wharf... something Wharf with H in it
Locals should know, anyway it looked nice right on the water.
Jon-Eric New Orleans
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips ! Our friends have reservations at the Marriott Waterfront because they are frequent travelers and got a free room. Is that in a nice location and is the hotel OK ? it seems expensive.

Thanks !
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 02:23 PM

elr, we usually eat at a little Italian restaurant called Amici's in little Italy. Good prices, great food. Where is Greektown? I would like to check it out on my next trip to Baltimore.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM
jtp

We were just at the Harbor Court Hotel and highly recommend it! It's a one block walk to the harbor, to the water taxi (to Fells Point) the staff, could not be more professional, and the rooms were beautiful, well maintained, and the restaurant grand.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Beware when booking any Balt. "Harbor" hotel that some are not *ON* the harbor at all, but just in the general harbor area ... go to some mapping sites and locate the property.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:39 AM

While I am rarely a Priceline fan (we like to choose exact property in which to stay and have 2 teenagers with us) we used Priceline for 3 night stay in Baltimore - did all the Inner Harbor stuff, went to Camden Yeards, etc.

Priceline does have an Inner Harbor zone, but, as one above poster indicated, some hotels are near Inner Harbor, not on it. That said, we got Wyndham Inner Harbor - which is about a 2-3 block walk to Inner Harbor but closer to Camden Yards than some actual on-the-Harbor properties. Price for 2 rooms was really cheap and hotel was very nice - we got 2 adjoining rooms, one was a corner room with windows on 2 sides viewing Harbor.

We walked around Inner Harbor, saw baseball, took trip to Fort McHenry, ate Italian food, took Duck tour - all the standard tourist stuff.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:05 AM

jimndebbie,

I live in Baltimore--the Marriott Waterfront was built only a year or 2 ago, and the exterior and lobby are pretty swanky. (There's an older Marriott that's nothing special that's near but not in the Inner Harbor on the other side--I'm assuming it's not that one) The Marriott Waterfront is right on the water. I haven't seen the rooms. The location is on the east side of the Inner Harbor, within walking distance to the chain stores and restaurants in Harbor Place, as well as Pier Six concert Pavilion, which has national acts all summer and into September, I believe. One of the best restaurants in Baltimore is practically next door to the hotel--Charleston's. Also, there are 2 restaurants that are part of the Marriott complex--Flemings (steakhouse, which I've been to and is good and has something like 40 wines by the glass) and Roy's (Hawaiian, which I haven't been to, but friends say good things about it). Little Italy is within walking distance as well, which has a few good restaurants and many mediocre ones. McCormick and Schmick, while a chain, is good seafood restaurant close to the Marriott, and has a nice large outdoor seating area on the water. Also within walking distance is the National Aquarium, which is one of the best places to visit in Baltimore. Also near the Marriott is the Pier 5 Hotel, which I've read and heard good things about.

I live in a historic neighborhood on the west side of the Inner Harbor (a few blocks from the Harbor Court hotel). The actual harbor in the Inner Harbor is picturesque with sailboats, but otherwise the Inner Harbor consists mainly of chain stores and restaurants, and usually very crowded on weekends.
However, there are interesting restaurants, etc., in the neighborhoods surrounding the Inner Harbor, such as the American Visionary Art Museum and its restaurant Joy America, Federal Hill, Corks and Vespa restaurants.

I agree with the previous poster that Mt. Vernon is a lovely area to visit--beautiful architechure, great museums, good restaurants--I especially recommend Helmand (delicious Afghan food, run by Hamid Karzai's brother, in an elegant setting with reasonable prices), but try to get a reservation or arrive early to avoid a long wait.

Lastly, I also recommend Ft. McHenry (you can take the water taxi, I believe) and if you like baseball, catch a game at Camden Yards if the O's are in town. It's about a 15-20 min walk from the Marriott Waterfront.

The Hyatt is perfectly nice and well-maintained--typical chain hotel--I belong to the gym there. It has a nice outdoor rooftop pool.

The Harbor Court may be the most luxurious hotel downtown--gorgeous lobby areas and its formal restaurant, Hamptons, is spectacular. Haven't been in the rooms.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:11 PM

The above poster is correct. The Marriott Inner Harbour is close to Camden Yards and the Mariott Waterfront is directly on the harbour. Friends made that mistake but were able to revise their reservation to the Waterfront one.

The water/seaport taxis are great - they are two competing companies. However, only the seaport taxi goes to Fort McHenry by water, due to some strange arrangement with the city, which owns the pier at the Fort. If you go to the Fort, you take the seaport taxi to Fells Point, then change boats, then go to the Fort. If you go by water taxi, it takes you to Tide Point and then you go by red school bus to the Fort. They do a lot of interesting presentations at the Fort, so check their schedule. Their site is http://www.nps.gov/fomc/.

Agree about Amici's. They have a brilliant shrimp boule, which is a round breadloaf, filled with shrimp, garlic and butter. A fun thing to do on Friday nights is watch the al fresco movies in Little Italy. They project a movie a week onto the side of a building and everyone brings their folding lawn chairs, watches the show and noshes on fun food (and adult beverages). It's tons of fun.

Have fun in Baltimore - it's a great city.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas !! We will give a report when we get back !!