Search

Baltimore - DC trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baltimore - DC trip

I have scheduled my first trip out of my state since COVID. I will be in DC for 3 days and Baltimore for 3 days and take the train between the 2 cities. I have been to both cities before so I am looking for things to see that might have been overlooked in my research. I chose these cities because they are walkable, have good public transportation and outdoor activities.

So far, for Baltimore, I have mostly the inner harbor sites, The American Visionary Museum, the ship museums and a trip to Fells Point. I have been to the Aquarium in the past.

I have been to DC too many times to count and find new adventures every time. So far my list includes Arlington Cemetery, the monuments, the zoo. I know that there are several other museums and that there is always something new at each but I am looking for anything that I may have missed in the past.

Any restaurant recommendations would be very much appreciated. I prefer places that the residence frequent, not where every tourist just needs to be.

I have read that there are many restrictions in both cities and I am more that comfortable with that. I wish that my state had the same.
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 08:28 AM

gardendiva, I've been searching for a list of D.C. spots I compiled and will post asap. If you go to the search function, there are several Baltimore trip reports. Stay tuned!
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 09:41 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
gardendiva, we have recently returned to the D.C. area following a decade-long absence. There are many new museums that are on my list for if/whenever the mask mandate for vaccinated persons ends: National Museum of African American History; The Bible Museum; the revamped Spy Museum; and Planet Word come to mind. Of course, the Smithsonian museums all have rotating exhibits, as do the non-Smithsonian like Hillwood and the Phillips. There are numerous spots, too, like The Mansion on O Street; the National Cathedral and the National Shrine; and the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Alexandria, just to give you an idea of the breadth. No doubt you'll fill your time easily.

Old Sep 29th, 2021, 09:57 AM

Hi gardendiva,

Some ground you may not have hit based on your last post.

As part of a DC trip, one suggestion that visitors sometimes don't think of is Old Town Alexandria, which is accessible from King St. Metro via trolley (or about a 20 minute walk from the metro on a nice day). Old Town Alexandria is really quite charming; I saw al fresco dining on King Street, which has been cordoned off into a pedestrian area. This might be enjoyable? I did a history tour there this summer that was excellent.

I lived in Baltimore for 3 years and one of my favorite things about Baltimore is the markets; the Lexington Market and Cross Street Market in particular... a unique slice of America. The Walters Art Gallery was excellent and taking the water taxi to Fort McHenry was an enjoyable way to spend a day.

I unfortunately am a bit out of touch with the restaurant scene, even though I was in the area this summer for about 2 months. (I did eat out but nothing exciting except for a Turkish restaurant in Manassas, but that's a bit out of the way.)

Wishing you an excellent trip!

Daniel
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Hillwood Museum and Gardens. A friend just went and since she is Russian really enjoyed it.
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 04:23 AM

I am not sure what you have seen in DC on earlier trips. I enjoyed visiting the Library of Congress a few years ago. I srarted at the Eastern Market, walked down to the Library, then went on to the nearby Botannical gardens.

the Smithsonian has acres of lovely gardens that are fun to explore as you walk along the mall
https://gardens.si.edu

The circulator buses were a good way to explore different areas of interest when i used them pre-pandemic
https://www.dccirculator.com/circula...rmation-guide/
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you for the great ideas. I totally forgot about the National Museum of African American History. That was still being built when I was there last. I am going to add the Botanical Garden and Old Town to my list. I have been to both but not since 2005, my first visit to DC as an adult. Mansion on O looks interesting as well.

fourfortravel, I had the National Cathedral on my list but they are not open to visitors at this time. Back in 2005 we took a tour and had tea up in one of the towers. It was so beautiful.

I am going to look for the Baltimore trip reports. Lexington Market looks like fun. I always enjoy a good market place.
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In DC, the National Arboretum ought to be nice this time of year. Have you been to the National Museum of the American Indian?
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 01:57 PM

Baltimore
I used to like going there, but at this time, I would probably not recommend Lexington Market. It is in dire need of work.

I have not been to downtown restaurants since the Pandemic started, so can’t help there.

The Walters Museum is really wonderful!

if you do not mind a short taxi ride, or maybe public transport, Evergreen House, if it is open, is absolutely a wonderful house to tour, one of my favorites. It is on Charles Street, not too far from the Baltimore Museum of Art.

The Baltimore Museum of Art is also excellent. The collections are small, but high quality and the Cone Sisters collection is outstanding.
Then, my very favorite thing is lunch at Gertrude’s, the lovely restaurant in the museum, but I almost never eat inside. They have a beautiful outside patio area, partially tented, in the sculpture garden with pools right beside the eating area. It is one of the prettiest places to eat in Baltimore and the food is good.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Sep 30th, 2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 11:43 AM

fourfortravel, didn't I send you a list for D.C.? I can't find it.

Old Oct 1st, 2021, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

TDudette, thank you for your efforts. I think that I have enough to fill my time. I am finding that a few places, like the Museum of African American History, need timed tickets to be reserved 30 days out. I am just short of that so I missed out on that one. I should really go visit the Museum of African History that is right here in Detroit.