Bald Head vs. Oak Isle vs. Sunset Beach

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bald Head vs. Oak Isle vs. Sunset Beach

Hi, looking for a beach vacation this summer with young children (all under 3). Any info on Bald Head versus Oak Isle? And what about Sunset Beach?

Interested in finding out about which beaches work well for young children (calm waves, tide pools), good kid friendly restaurants and easy grocery shopping.

Thanks!!
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Bald Head while very nice = $$$$$. Oak Island is the least expensive & fairly well built up. So if you are seeking other amenities, that would be the one. Sunset is a tad more pricey, more family oriented & less people. For somewhere in between (both literally & price wise) try Holden Beach. It is the least populated, least developed as far as condos, no high rises & very little commercial on the island proper. Headed there tomorrow as a matter of fact. Check out www.ncbrunswick.com. Southport (where you would get the ferry to Bald Head) is also a great place to spend a day wandering. Put any of those beaches in the search engine & you should come up w/several posts on these NC islands.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot - have a great trip. Also thinking about Ocean Isle -- seem to be lots of places to choose from. Will definitely look at Holden Beach.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM

We've put in a timeshare request for Bald Head Island a year from now. No idea if we'll get it. We don't know much about the place other than it's listed as a five-star timeshare resort. Are there restaurants on the island? Grocery shopping? I know it's golf carts only ...
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM

You might want to go to the website (www.baldheadisland.com) to get the flavor of the place.

It's perfect for young family -- quiet, no night life except what you drum up yourself, a couple of very casual restaurants that will be perfect for kids but won't exactly thrill a sophisticated palate plus two more upscale in the club houses (to which you have to belong or have membership included in your timeshare). There's a small but serviceable grocery store with a very odd range of things, from Froot Loops to gourmet cheeses.

The behavior of the beach water varies as you go around the island but there are substantial rip currents at times and places, esp. south and out toward Frying Pan Shoals. But there are often tide pools out at the Shoals, too, and there are two pools at the main club house (may also be something appropriate at the new club at the Shoals).
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM

You should definitely try Ocean Isle. We have been going there 10 years and recently bought property. It is a great, quiet place to vacation which is between Sunset and Holden.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Michele enough w/the advertising. Ocean Isle is OK, but not compared to any of the other Brunswick Islands in my opinion, particularly for the $$$.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:22 AM

I think Ocean Isle is a great family beach also.
Bald Head would be too restricting for me, although we have many friends with houses there. It is beautiful.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Given the ages of the children, I would say Oak Island...it is quiet, but you can easily go into Soutport, and you can take the ferry across to Wilmington (arriving at Fort Fisher). We had a family house at Long Beach (Oak Island) when the children were small and they loved it.
I like all of the beaches that you have mentioned, but I think Bald Head better for "couples."
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Question was asked in May. She's probably come and gone already.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Yes, I just noticed after I posted.
Thanks..
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

My bad, I added to the confusion after our friend Michele started advertising on these types of posts.