Backpacker looking for tips for Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawaii has been my home away from home ever since I went out there to escape from consumerism after high-school and fell in love with the land and the people there. I don't go out there as a wealthy main-lander strutting around like I own the place, but I go and live minimally, close to the earth, and appreciate the beauty of the islands and get to know the local Polynesians. I've worked with Americore-KUPU to restore the endemic beauty of many parks and beaches on Oahu, which is been a high-light of my life for sure. Since I don't make a lot of money however and have a seasonal job and like to spend the winters out there, I live very simply out there, backpacking and tenting, using self storage for my gear, gym membership for showers, and bus pass for transport. Since I have a system down with all that on Oahu I have went there every time, going on number 5, but I really want to see another island this time.

So my question is this...how easy is it to travel around Kauai and just pitch a tent / hammock at night and keep moving? (Mind you without leaving a trace, absolutely no trash or damage) What are the laws / policing out there in terms of unpaid tenting? Is there an island where it is more relaxed in terms of people moving around and sleeping outside? I've done some research but a lot of it maybe outdated now and has changed. Any advice is greatly appreciated! <3
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest you mosey on over to Trip Advisor forum for Kauai (tried to post the link but wasn't allowed).

"unpaid tenting" is what homeless people do.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

yeah thanks for that. it's also for people looking to minimize for a while and live closer to the earth in a beautiful place, appreciating the beauty of the island on a limited income. but yeah not everyone is open minded to alternative living
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 06:06 PM

it's also for people looking to minimize for a while and live closer to the earth in a beautiful place, appreciating the beauty of the island on a limited income. but yeah not everyone is open minded to alternative living.

I don't believe that is really the objection . What land will you be camping on for free? It is not legal in most places to simply pitch your tent on public or private lands. Nothing about being closed minded.

Really sounds like you could use factual information from people who live on Kauai. And there are several over on TA, plus many regular visitors. Appreciating the beauty and trying to live free/cheap is one thing, but an unfriendly confrontatoin with locals when you are in place you really don't belong, or arrested by the police is not most people's idea of "living closer to the earth".

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 06:42 PM

Since you were able to do this successfully on Oahu, maybe your connections there can help you figure out Kauai?

How are you planning to get around? Kauai does not have the transportation infrastructure that you find on Oahu.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:24 AM

Here is the site for the Kauai bus and route map, note among other things size limitations on luggage:
https://www.kauai.gov/Government/Dep...ted-Activities
The bus does not go everywhere, it does not go past Hanalei ( you may be able to hitch a ride to Ke'e Beach or Haena Campgrounds at the end of the road or buy one by contributing gas money). It does not go to Waimea Canyon, unlikely you can hitch, it is 99% tourists driving up there.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 02:17 PM

Hope Joshua is getting helpful advice somewhere.

Since he has done this many times on Oahu per the OP, guessing he knows more than most here on Fodor's in this specific approach. For the 'alternative life' perspective probably can find resources thru old personal connections from past Hawaiian jobs and stays (doesn't someone's cousin live on Kauai and have land you can camp on without hassle?). How about conservation groups, backpacker insiders, free-spirits, posting on various social media sites where you could connect?

Clearly you have a good heart, wish you the best, and would love to hear what you come up with for a plan. aloha suze

Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wild Camping: Have you checked the iOverlander app? It mentions Baby Beach as a possibility.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 11:36 AM

mahalo kleeblatt ~ I was hoping someone with experience and/or a tip could help out. If Lonely Planet Thorn Tree was still around, they likely could have helped more than Fodor's folks. I suggested TA but he didn't seem interested/hasn't posted on that forum. Maybe read it who know?

I love to picture this adventure and hope Joshua figures out a fantastic trip. The fact that he did it on Oahu gives me more hope than just your average haole dropping in thinking they can wild camp around.

aloha suze