Backpack & space saver

Search

Backpack & space saver

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpack & space saver

I need to find a good backpack, NOT for backpacking but just for walking around in European cities. I need to carry a camera and other essentials (paper, pens, bandaids and so on). Any suggestions?

Also, are the space saver types of things that I see offered from Samsonite really worth it? Do they actually help save space, and if so how much (I know that is only an estimate). For those of you that use them, how many do you use in say a 22 inch carryon roller?
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM

I bought my last backpack at Office Depot after the back to school sales. I make sure mine has a place for a bottle of water on the outside of the back. I like fewer pockets and a larger section in the middle to stuff sweaters, jackets, souvenirs, etc.

I bought some spacesavers but I've also used large ziploc bags.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Starrsville, does using the saver bags or even the ziplocks really save room?
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I think the apacesavers "really save room" with bulky items like sweaters and pillows and comforters, etc. especially with the vacuum seal attachments for use in the home.

For summer travel, I don't know what I would pack that would compress that much with air removed.

What I DID like about the ones I used last year was organization. I put similar items in each bag. Easy to find what I needed when. I put my dressy sweaters in a bag for evenings in Paris. But, given they were cashmere, they were already pretty lightweight and compact.

I DID like putting my capris and summery outfits in the big ziplocs. They were out of the way during the Paris part of the trip. When I got to the Riveria, I just reversed the wardrobe.

I always travel with an extra duffle bag (carried over in an outside pocket of the suitcase). When I finished with a wardrobe "baggy" I could just put it in the duffle bag leaving room for souvenirs in my suitcase. But, the clothes stayed clean and relatively wrinkle-free in case I were to want to use them again.

I think the spacesavers would "really save space" on a trip to a cold climate or a ski trip. Not that big of a difference on my spring/summer trip, but the organization was nice.

My SpaceSaver seal did pop in one rollup attempt. I will probably just use Ziplocs going forward.
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM
dona

I've used the space savers for many years and love them. As noted they are esp good for bulky items--sweaters, jeans etc, but find them to be helpful packing in the summer too putting tee shirts, shorts et al in them. They really do compress whatever you put in them to a fraction of the size definitely saving packing space. Which ones I use really depends. I have used a large one and a medium one for the 22" carry-on roller. I also only used one of them per trip. They also keep clothes from wrinkling as much. I have some off brand that I got at a luggage store and they have never unzipped. It also doesn't use the vacuum seal attachments. I put them on the floor and just roll them up.

Old May 29th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
for mdtravel-

IMO the most important thing to understand about 'spacesavers' whether official ones or simply using 1-2gal. zip lock bags is... they make your items more compact so you can get more into your suitcase BUT that means you now have a much HEAVIER suitcase!

so I think they are fine for keeping things neat and organized while on the road if you feel the need, but don't use them to maximize what you can stuff into a 22" suitcase. kind of defeats the purpose of "traveling light" if your small suitcase weighs a ton!

my personal view of the space savers is that they are only one more thing in my suitcase, and one i can't wear at that! i am of the - fold neatly and lay into the suitcase, stop when you get to the top - school of travel.

for your daypack, there is a large selections these days most everywhere because what you need is similar to what kids use for school. just look at any discount, outlet, or department store.
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM

mdtravel, I'm not sure what kind of camera you are carrying, but I will offer this for what it's worth.

I have used a daypack in my everyday life for years. On trips, however, I found that my camera would shift and eventually be jabbing me in the back.

I now have an Eagle Creek daypack that has a short, padded interior divider in the main compartment. I put my camera in this, lens down, which keeps it in position away from my back, and also makes it easy to pull it out of the pack. There are outside pockets for water bottles, etc, and lots of other interior organizational features. The backpack straps can also be tucked into a zipped compartment and the bag can be used with a shoulder strap if you like.

IMO Eagle Creek products, while not the cheapest, are very well designed with features that are worth paying for. They also have a lifetime guarantee.
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:52 AM

i have an ll bean back pack its great i use it out on the boat it has sturdy durable zippers and is heavy duty on the inside there is a mesh pouch a small zipper compartment there is even a key latch in side to attach keys too or watever. i love my purple ll bean back pack nad its oon its fourth year. its been to puerto rico mexico on mant boat trips overnights in nantucket and across country even ll bean has my vote although if you dont mind spening cabellas catalouge or online is a great place for ideas...hope this helps
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information everyone. On the space savers, I do realize that making items smaller doesn't make them lighter; that's be nice though. I'm trying to figure out how to have smaller luggage for a two week trip to Italy this summer. Weight doesn't bother me, but the size of the suitcase does. I might pick some up and give them a try.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Marilyn,
Do you by chance know which type of pack you have?

www.eaglecreek.com
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Alas, mdtravel, there is nothing on the site that looks anything like my pack, which I bought quite a few years ago. The whole line has been redesigned. A friend of mine bought the Travel Bug and loves it, but it's a bit small for my daily gear.

On the other hand, there are a couple of bags I saw that look interesting. I would have to see the inside in person as the way they show it on the website is not enough for me. Isn't there a nearby store where you can check them out in person?

I'm going to look a bit further and see what I can find. Good luck!
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:47 AM

<Weight doesn't bother me,> Ah you say that now, talk to me after running thru a train station and up the narrow steps onto the car or a nice long trek up a hill with cobblestone paving to your hotel... just kidding -LOL.

The first (and only) time I packed using the space saver method, was the first time my 22" suitcase had to be checked in with the airline, not carried on. I'm guessing it was almost twice as heavy as usual.

If you CAN invent a method that makes clothes not only smaller but lighter you will become a millionaire with the discovery!!!

Old May 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM

suze, you mean you don't have a can of anti-gravity spray?
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM

oh marilyn, you've been holding out on me ~LOL. so that's why my 22" seems so much heavier than everyone elses 22"? i figured there must be a secret that i did not know!!
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the incredible information folks.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:09 AM

Someone on another site just recommended Domke camera bags to me. They have both satchel and backpack styles, and inlcude compartments for lenses and other accessories.