back from trip to Kauai

Search

back from trip to Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back from trip to Kauai

My family and I returned Tuesday night from our first trip to Hawaii(Kauai). I had not flown in 20 twenty years and I am afaid of heights. We flew American Airlines from Newark NJ to LAX then to Honolulu then Island Air to Kauai. All 3 flights going there and back were very smooth and kind of fun. I was a little nervous during takeoff but I pictured all of you in your underwear (previous messege)and I was OK. We arrived in Kauai about 8:30pm. All the rental agencys were open but Dollar rental had given our SUV away, so we went with Hertz. And no there weren't any roaches in our car thank goodness. We drove to our condo, Outrigger Lae Nani, with the help of Kals directions, with no problems. As soon as we drove into the parking lot we were in awe of the tropical landscape of the complex. We walked into our condo and my kids (3 Teenagers) were oohing and aweing. (My husband collapsed into bed). Our two bedroom two bathroom oceanfront condo surpassed my expectations!! We could hear the ocean outside our Lanai. We got the ground floor which was perfect. The next morning we really got to appreciate how fantastic the view really was in the sunlight. And the number one thing I was worried about...not having aircondioning was all for nothing. We did not need air conditioning. The constant breeze and the ceiling fans kept us cool and sometimes even cold. We slept with blankets every night. I would recommend highly Lae Nani to anyone. It was spotless, (housecleaning came everyday), very roomy, very clean full kitchen with a dishwasher. I was confused though as to whether I should run the dishwasher or if housekeeping was supposed to do it. Anyway I just did it myself. The grounds around the complex were spectacular and well maintained. The pool was also clean and well maintained. The only complaint I have is that we used the packet of coffee they gave us the first morning. The second morning I sent my son to get another packet( I thought housekeeping would replace it) from the office, they gave him one but said it would be a dollar. So we went out and bought our own bag of coffee to use every morning. They did charge that dollar to our room I found out when checking out. I just think that is kind of chintzy considering how much you are paying per night for the condo. I dont think one poacket of coffee per day is asking too much. Anyhoo...the highlights of our trip were....drive up to Waimea canyon, Jo Jo's shaved ice (yummy), Smiths tropical Luau (well worth the money) the grounds are beautiful, the food delicious and the show exciting. Haena Beach Park, Lydgate Beach Park, a walk down an overgrown path that led to the most spectacular north beach (not sure wear we were), shopping at the Coconut Market Place, the North shore in general, and just hanging out at the pool and on our Lanai. Some things that I wasnt impressed with...Poipu Beach Park ( I didnt find it that exciting and it was overcrowded), Fern Grotto Tour( the tour guides were funny, but the grotto and surrounding area is under construction!! There something about bright orange cones, tape and fencing that take away from the tropical ambience. Dukes Canoe Club restaurant( I ordered the "famous prime rib")half of it was a chunk of fat. The salad bar was very good tho. But I thought the place was overpriced.
Our trip to Kauai was magical for all of us and we know we want to come back. Maybe just my husband and I next time. There is so much we still want to do.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Welcome to the club!

Aloha.

-Bill
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 01:34 AM

Sigh... Wish I was there right now!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM
iceeu2

jinxiejo...you are smitten. Isn't Kauai so wonderful?

Yep, as iamq says..welcome to the club.

i'2

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Yeah, welcome to the club. I am already looking ahead to our next (2nd) trip to Kauai. Everyday I think of something that we did not get to do or a place I want to revisit. It's becoming an obsession...

Ditto on that coffee thing. We were at the Outrigger Kiahuna and I was surprised that the coffee was not replaced. We loved the Kiahuna though.

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:38 AM

"there weren't any roaches in our car"?!?
Sounds like those~gt;~gt;~gt;are on the loose again
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We didn't have any problems at all with roosters or roaches. We did buy apple bananas at a roadside stand that had a baby roach in between the clump of stems. It crawled out onto the kitchen counter when we got to our condo. By the way why is fruit so expensive there? I mean fruit that is grown on the island? Pineapples and mangos are cheaper at my local Acme in NJ than on the island. Where does eveyone buy their fruit when in Kauai?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Reply to jinxiejo,
My guess would be that as the world's most remote island chain there isn't much in the way of $)competition
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM

jinxiejo:

Most of us who live on Kaua`i either grow our own produce, or are blessed to have friends/neighbors/family who share their abundance with us. Before heading to one of the grocery stores for produce, we head to the weekly Sunshine Market in our area:
http://www.kauai.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=214

Here on the northshore, it's difficult to grow mangoes (that darned rain!), so we get ours from a lady who sells a couple days a week from the trunk of her car -- mangoes to DIE for! Sweet, juicy, and <ta-dah!> no strings. Ditto for our source of lychee. And there's always Cost-U-Less in Kapa`a, too.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM

On the flip side, we found exotic (heliconias, bird of paradise, torch ginger to be quite the bargain in HI compared to NJ $).
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Kal

Aloohaaaa jinxie!

It was dark, yah!

Welcome back...how many mo' days?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Yeah,the road to Lae Nani was very dark. I drove because my husband had trouble seeing. We are thinking about going back for our 25th wedding anniversary in Oct. of 2007. It will be alot cheaper with just my husband and I. I would love to stay 2 weeks. We might stay in Oahu for 2 days because my husband really wants to see the Pearl Harbor Memorial.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:10 PM

congratulations, jinxie, on overcoming lots of fears! Now i'll join the others and say..welcome to the fan club of that dark, rainy, buggy, chicken-thick island of kauai! ha ha haa.. I'm glad to hear about your positive experience at the lae nani..we'll be there in just a few weeks! alooha..
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 11:12 PM

wow, i wonder what was going on at the fern grotto site. I heard someting about a water diversion project or something of the sort that might be happening there..
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Sea Wahine...You will love Lae Nani. Make sure you watch the sunrise. Take the second path past the pool, it will lead to a small bluff and you can watch the sunrise. It was very beautiful. We also left fishing poles, beach chairs and floaties with the front desk. They said they keep them for other guests that ask about such items. Jinxiejo
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

loved reading your review Jinxiejo. Took that flight to and from Newark you were on but flew direct on continental. I much prefer the link up that you did. Anyone traveling from the east coast stop off in California if you can both ways if only one way on the return.

Auntie Marie I love that sunshine market, not sure people anticipate all the different exotic fruits offered. While not necessarily exotic I am still trying to find white pineapples in NYC. I have actually told the italian market in my neighborhood and they are going to look into ordering them. Less acidity than yellow and sweet!!!