Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Back from Seattle and Vancouver Island- WOW!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, both 50ish, just celebrated our wedding anniversary with a wonderful trip to the west coast. After many helpful suggestions from Fodors, we scheduled our time this way:

Monday- Flew from the east coast to Seattle
Tues. - Took the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, rented a car, and drove to Tofino
Wed.&Thurs,- Tofino/Ucluelet
Friday&Sat.- Victoria
Sunday- Took the Clipper back to Seattle
Monday - Flew back home to NC

This schedule was completely doable, and we had a wonderful time. While in Seattle, we saw the Mariners play the Whitesox at Safeco Field, went to Pike Place Market, walked around the city, and saw a fabulous new musical at the 5th Ave.Theatre -"Catch Me if you Can" - watch for it on Broadway now.

Stops along the beautiful drive to and from Tofino included Coombs, Chemanus, Duncan, and Cathedral Grove- all suggested by Fodors posters. We enjoyed them all.

While in Tofino, we soaked up the gorgeous scenery by hiking several trails in the Pacific Rim National Park- trails through coastal rainforests that led to the ocean. We also loved the Wild Pacific Trail in Ucluelet. The views were breathtaking.

In Victoria, we spent time exploring the inner harbor, and went on a whale watching trip with Prince of Whales. We saw a lot of orcas, and although we couldn't get as close to them as I would have liked, it was fun. We also went to the IMAX theatre at the museum
and saw the film about whales.

I highly recommend all three of places we stayed while on this trip:
In Seattle- The Arctic Club Hotel on 3rd Ave. > Absolutely beautiful historic hotel, good location for walking to sights, and the best service and friendliest staff we've ever encountered at a hotel.
In Tofino- Middle Beach Lodge> Rustic, no frills lodge with beautiful views, delicious breakfast included
In Victoria- Carlton Plaza on Johnson St.> Huge room w/ sitting area and kitchen, very reasonable price, easy walk to inner harbor. Ask for a quiet room, though.

Our trip was a perfect mix of exciting city sights and the wonders of nature. We really hated to leave Tofino after three nights. Although Victoria is a beautiful, we wish we could have stayed in Tofino one more day to go kayaking or on another adventure.

Suggestions to others considering this trip: The average temp. in this area in August is about 68 degrees F, so pack accordingly, but pack lightly. The luggage we brought was a bit of a burden since we stayed in three different hotels. We reserved everything online before going- rental car, hotels, the clipper, and tickets to attractions. Some things could be canceled if needed, but everything went according to plan.

Thank you so much to everyone who posted suggestions about Seattle and Vancouver island, and to those who answered my questions when I was planning the trip. It was wonderful!
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the nice trip report. I live in Seattle and love it here. You planned a very nice itinerary!!

My only addition for others reading and future trips would be about the temps in August. While it is very coolish now, only a couple weeks ago we had an all-time record-breaker of 103F and in the 90+ for a week! Be glad you missed it, it was HOT (for us).
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM

We are also in our late 50's and very active. Our itineracy sounds very similar. Was it expensive to take ferry out of Seattle? We also want to add on a trip to the other side adn go to Nanimo and parksville and maybe to Stratemore National park for some hiking. We are planning on staying for one week and also thought we could add the beaches on the south end. SOme islands also sound great like HOrns Island an old Hippie place. Does this sound too much for 8 days?
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
oceanrose10 This topic is 18 months old. Please start a new topic to ask your questions.
Things may have changed since onthego919 's trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM

$75-88 is the price for a one-way ticket on the Victoria Clipper, Seattle up to Victoria, depending month of travel.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM

My husband and I are travelling to Seattle and Vancouver in early June and we wanted some advice about the quickest and most scenic way to travel from Seattle to Vancouver. Would you recommend taking the train or driving?
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Yo Tomf: The info's still good, eh?
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Seattle to Vancouver's a straight shot north. I'm not sure how "scenic" the actual trip is since with a car you're on the freeway. Not saying it's not worth doing, just I don't think train vs car that one is necessarily more scenic than the other.