Back from NYC

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:31 AM
xaimimgr

Back from NYC

Had a great time. Stayed in heart of Times Sq. Saw Gypsy, Millie, and Adult Entertainment. All good shows. Ate at Sardis, Tavern on the Green, The View at the top of Marriott Marquis. Despite what I read on here about TOTG, the help was not snotty, the food was good, and we were there for the 4" snowstorm on Monday. Ate in the crystal chandelier room. Just beautiful. Of course we had lunch early there, so maybe we beat the rush. My only problem was the hailing of cabs. Had 2 refuse us, because we were going the wrong way and it was shift change time. But with an 81 yr old who has trouble walking, esp steps, we got along fine. Managed to get 1/2 price tix at TKTS for Millie. None for Producers or Nine.

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cabs that refused you most likely had their off-duty lights on. When the shifts changes sometimes they will pick up if you are going in their direction. If The off-duty lights are on (on either side of the bigger taxi number light), even if the main light is still on, they are not obligated to pick you up. If they are on-duty and refuse a fare, then they could & should be reported to the taxi & Limi comm. Unfortunately the shift change times are always bad. Why they can't stagger the shifts more is beyond me.

Glad you had a great time despite unreliable taxi service. How was Gypsy?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Glad to hear you had a great time, seems like you really sampled the city well. Your restaurant choices were top notch! You might find better food or prices elsewhere in the city, but all of your choices were memorable and perfect picks for tourists. Come back soon.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:05 AM

MFNYC, can you tell us what times those shift changes are, so we can avoid them? Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:09 AM

The Editor, shift changes usually occur at the most unfortunate times. Cabs in NYC usually start their "off-duty" cruising as described above between 4pm and 6pm.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Where did you actually stay? We are thinking of spending a couple nights in the city. Are weekends or weekdays better as far as rates go? We usually just go down for the day but thought it is about time to spend a couple days to be able to see more than one show. We are looking for a hotel located for easy access to the theater district. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:17 AM
xaimimgr

MFNYC Gypsy was just great. Bernadette was fantastic as far as I was concerned. Yes, we did the tourist places, because that's what we were. Actually would have loved to stay longer, but 20 degrees more temp would be perfect. Had enough trouble just trying to hail a cab let alone looking at the lights on top. gt;) Yes, it was about 5pm, Sunday when we had the cab problem. Finally wised up and went to the street headed the way we wanted to go and then got picked up. Also had a great sort of minivan tour. Only 3 passengers, so we really got a great show of all the districts in mid and downtown. He took us places I know a bus could not have taken us. Meat district with hanging beef, across street from Stella McCartney's dress shop. Unreal !!!

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Xaimimgr, glad you had a nice time. Regarding the cabs refusing to pick you up, in my ten years of visiting NYC, I've had that happen numerous times. I, too, have learned that it usually tends to be when I want to go in the opposite direction that they are headed. To avoid this I make sure to cross a block over so I'm headed the same direction I wish to ride. I've also been refused due to having too many shopping bags....ha.

I always look at the "off duty" lights and they aren't on, so their being off duty hasn't been the case when I've been refused. Nor, has it been because they had a passenger already. I just figured that refusing a fare because of direction was part of the game in NYC.

Glad to know otherwise MFNYC. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:23 AM
xaimimgr

Harry R, We stayed at the Marriott Marquis and could not have been better located for my friend. She was able to walk up 8th AVe to 48th and back down Broadway to the hotel. Theatres all around. After we figured out the elevator system it was great. Also, despite what I read on here, we really had no long waits for the elevators. Maybe bacause the hotel wasn't full, but they did have several meetings going on. Sometimes we also used the elevators in the middle, not the glass ones

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:35 AM

As already said, the shift change is in the 4-6 timeframe in the evening, I think mostly 4:30-5:30. This also being rush hour makes it extremely inconvenient. It's always difficult getting a cab after the theater because all the plays let out around the same time. I find walking towards 5th Av. seems to be the best bet.

I would think taxis be happy to pick you up if you are headed in the opposite direct, it's a longer ride, therefore higher fare. It's possible that they may not be happy about going into certain neighborhoods at certain times but then again I doubt even the typical tourist would want to go in those neighborhood for similar reason. Taxis are not legally allowed to refuse fares (when they are on-duty) and should be reported. I'm a NYer but don't use cabs regularly. Other than trouble finding a cab on a rainy day or shift change, I haven't had many problems. I have reported cabs that I thought had a rigged meter and were over-charging. The response was a $5 bill from the T&L commission.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:42 AM

xaimimgr, tell us about the "minivan tour" for other posters. From where to where, price etc.
Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:58 AM

xaimimgr - Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:04 AM
xaimimgr

The tour picked us up at the hotel. He's a private operator. He can be reached at marvelousmanhattantours.com.
Has a tour about 9 to 4 that cover mid,down and uptown with lunch (not covered) at NY oldest Deli Prices for Adult $85, Senior $80 and child under 12 $65. 3 and 1/2 hour tour is 65,63, and 53. PS Our cab problem was at the Variety Arts Theatre at 110
Third Ave.

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:15 AM
xaimimgr

Forgot, am going back to NYC in June for a cruise up to Nova Scotia and back. At the end of the cruise, we take a half day tour of the city and I'm sure I will not see a third of what I was when with the small tour. Then we will be leaving east coast by bus to home in the midwest..LOVE NEW YORK..

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Just to illuminate some of the cab woes. The companies that own the cabs require that drivers be back at the garage to turn the car over to the next shift. If they are not back in time, the company can fine the driver.

It is illegal for a cabby to turn down a fare, but the Taxi/Limo Commission doesn't seem to understand the restrictions placed on drivers.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Cab drivers have lots of rules and regulations to follow, some of which they do, some they don't. When you get into a cab and announce your destination, they make an entry on their trip sheets of where you were picked up. Then at the end of the ride, they note your final destination. Most cabbies write in your destination when you first tell them--they are supposed to wait till the end of the trip in case you change your mind (no erasing or crossouts).

When they go off duty (head back to the garage) they make a notation on the trip sheet. Only one additional trip entry is allowed below this notation--this is the "trip in their direction" to which MFNYC refers.

Of course, what a cab driver is supposed to do and what they actually do may vary greatly.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:34 AM
SR

xaimimgr: If you get this message, can you tell me what you meant when you said "after we figured out the elevators" ? We are going in July and may stay at the Marriott Marquis. I'm still torn between the Marquis and Le Parker Meridien which is closer to the Park.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Le Parker Meridien is right on 57th St, much closer to Central park than is the Marriott Marquis. I would chose the Meridien because I stayed at the Marquis and despite the great view and location, it is much too loud and big!
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:17 AM

The Parker Meridian has rooms for $175 for a double on their website. I checked it the other night....
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:28 AM

SR:

If I remember correctly from my visit to The View Lounge, certain elevators only go as high as certain floors. It does take a few minutes to figure out which elevators to use when you are unfamiliar with the hotel. However, it's not any big deal.