Search

Back from Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from Chicago

I just returned from a wonderful weekend in Chicago and wanted to thank everyone, particularly Chicgirl, for all their assistance. I would have gone back to the original thread, but this site is really screwed up now and performance is so bad that I stopped trying and am posting a new message.

Anyway, back to the specifics. We arrived around 7 pm at Midway on Thurs and took the El into town, transferred to the Red Line and got within 2 blocks of our hotel on the Gold Coast ($1.50 for each of us- a bargain) We walked the three blocks to our hotel- The Talbot. It was a charming place, great location and helpful staff. Our room was lovely- large and spacious, but unfortunately the people next door used their room as a hospitality suite and we had several very unpleasant experiences from the noise. I guess all of the older hotels have thin walls. I don't know if I would stay there again or take my chances with better neighbors. From other postings I had heard similar complaints about the Drake and other classic older places. Comments?

We immediately went to the Hancock Tower for drinks and the view. Eye popping can only describe it! Chicago doesn't seem to have the hazy skies of LA so it was clear and gorgeous. Afterwards, we went to Gibson's for steak. Huge portions but delicious and a fun place. They took very good care of us.

Friday was reserved for business so we didn't get back to the hotel until early evening. We were celebrating our anniversary and had booked at TRU for a 10 PM seating. Every wonderful thing ever said about this place is true. We had the 12 course chef's selection dinner and it was the most memorable meal ever. At the end, they presented us with a personalize copy of the menu. A very classy ( and $$$$$) place, but worth it for a special occassion.

Saturday we made the 10 AM historical skyscraper river cruise. We were so lucky. Just as the cruise was about to begin, they raised the Michigan bridge (and successive ones thereafter) so we got a close-up look at the engineering of it. Our guide was wonderful and it was one of the most interesting tours I have ever had. We loved it and the views of all your beautiful Chicago buildings. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

After the cruise, we headed south to Milennium Park and stopped for a lunch of Chicago pizza and your wonderful beef sandwiches. Yummy. We wandered through the Park, visited the Architecture Foundation, strolled through some of the notable buildings that were close-by and ended up at the Art Institute. They kicked us out when the museum closed at 5:30. After resting up at the hotel, we had drinks at the bar at the Sofitel Water Tower (cool place) and then walked to Cafe Spiaggia for dinner. Again another fine example of the excellent restaurants that seem to be all over Chicago. After dinner, we took a cab to 2nd City. The only show not sold out was at the Black Orchid room- billed as highlights from the past. It was pretty mediocre- We didn't find much of it funny, just stupid and given the price of $19 each thought that it was a ripoff for a show that lasted little more than an hour or so. Maybe the other 2 shows that had already sold out were better, but this definitely was a mistake. We should have gone to a jazz club or anywhere else.

Sunday we had brunch at the Four Seasons. This is the best brunch I have ever seen- over 200 different dishes, a Bloody Mary bar and a wide range of types of cuisine. First rate all the way. After that we walked to Marshall Field to see the windows and Xmas tree in the Walnut room, marveling at all of the people all over town carrying bags with stuff bought at the American Girl store. That place is a gold mine. We couldn't believe it. We then went to the Field Museum to see the Machu Pichu exhibit- another wonderful treat. Again we got kicked out of the exhibit when the musem closed, but it turned out that there was a Members Night and acually the museum was open until 10 so we got to linger a while longer at some of the regular exhibits. You guys are luck to have such a wonderful gem in your town.

By then it was time to get back to the hotel to fetch our luggage that had been stowed there. We got a cab from the Field who stayed while we retrieved our bags and continued on to Midway. I think that whole trip was only $30 or maybe $35, which seemed very fair given the time and traffic involved in the trip. I must say that you Chicago drivers use your horns an awful lot. We don't do that here in LA.

Anyway, we loved our visit and loved your city. I can't wait to go back in warmer weather when all of your fountains (read Buckingham Fountain) are turned back on. It may be cold and windy there, but the sky was a beautiful blue, the sun was out and the city was beautiful.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Sharkmom, glad you enjoyed our city--come back when the weather is warm and you can enjoy some of the festivals, beaches and markets!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:32 PM

I enjoyed reading your report. That's too bad about 2nd City. Tru sounds great. Hopefully the DH and I will return to Chicago without the kids (who are dining killjoys) to enjoy a meal there. Also your Four Season experience sounds wonderful (I had a similar experience at the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco, but this brunch sounds even more decadent)

The December issue of Traditional Home magazine has a fabulous (huge)layout of the city of Chicago during the holidays (shopping, architecture, and fine-dining). I envy those who are fortunate enough to visit during the holiday season ~ it certainly looks grand!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:31 PM
jimjim

What's the deal with 2nd City about which I've heard so much? Last summer while we were in Chicago we were excited about seeing their up-dated version of Romeo and Juliet which was a big bore...we walked out at intermission. I'm used to professional theater in NYC and Seattle, which is far superior to what I saw in Chicago.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Second City is comedy theater. We happened to enjoy our show "Doors Open on the Right" and thought it was rather funny and the material was rather timely.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

The 2nd City show was really amateurish. Too bad we didn't leave at intermission. Hope springs eternal and we kept hoping it would improve. The experience fell far short of the hype.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Hi there,

Just stumbled on your post...glad you enjoyed your visit to Chicago. I probably bumped into you on Sunday at the Macchu Pichu exhibit...we were there for the 3pm entry and got kicked out at 5:30pm too.

Just another Chicago grrrl...
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:52 AM

jimjim -- now now, there is plenty of professional theater in chicago, i'm sure you know that. 2nd city is an improv comedy troop, it isn't the Steppenwolf. I've seen a few shows at 2nd City, some have been great, some have been mediocre, it is just sort of the nature of improv i'm afraid.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:32 AM

What's the cost of that fabulous 4 Seasons brunch, please?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Sharkmom, I am planning to stay at the
Talbott soon. Would you care to give any more details as to the problems you had there? Did you try to get management to ask the neighbors to be less noisy? Thanks in advance!