Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY for the 3rd time or Chicago for the first one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a hard question and it depends in preferences but in general what do you prefer??

Thanks
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:04 PM

If you have already seen NY 3x why wouldn't you pick Chicago? Go see Oprah!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM

We've visited NYC lots of times. We're headed to Chicago for the first time. Will let you know when we return.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM
JJ5

There is only one NYC, but Chicago actually is unique especially if you are interested in architecture. When you come, don't miss the Art Institute. And before you come, watch "City of the Century", a PBS feature that you can rent or get from your local library.

Oprah is great and if you do go there, don't leave that neighborhood before you hit the Flat Top Grill across the street.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Chicago. It's a great city. Beautiful lakefront, museums, Millenium Park, theatre, music, great architecture, restaurants, gardens. Go visit Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio. Take the architectural boat tour. I could go on and on.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:21 PM

How long have you spent in NY - and what do you still want to see? If you've had two lengthy trips here - try Chicago.

If you've had two quick weekends - NYC stilll has way more to offer.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

We live just outside of NYC and love to visit often, but Chicago is really very special. You should go and visit at least once.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Chicago is an amazing, fun, lively, beautiful city. Definitely Chicago.

But I'm biased, my whole family's from Chicago ;-)
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:43 PM
hdm

OK, I'll start by saying you should go to Chicago if you've never been before. I had a great time in Chicago and I'd go back if I had the chance. But if it were a choice between Chicago and NY? NY would be the hands-down winner every time!
(Oh, and good luck getting Oprah tickets. I tried for months before our trip and could never manage it.)
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Must go´s for Chicago? (forget Oprah)
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Don

It's hard to come up with a list of "must-go"s if we don't know what you like to see/do.

That said, what I enjoyed were the Art Institute, a tour of Oak Park and seeing the Frank Lloyd Wright homes, Millennium Park, a boat ride on Lake Michigan, and window shopping on the Magnificent Mile.

I'd still like to do the Architecture Tour (via boat), see a game at Wrigley Field, see Navy Pier, and visit the Field Museum. And I'm sure I'll come up with a much longer list when I revisit some of my tourism information.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM

I grew up in NY, lived in Boston, Atlanta, and now Chicago.

Not seeing Chicago would be a mistake. One should not always try to compare it to NY. They are different but not better. Chicago has a rich history and culture all to its own and you could be here a month and not see it all.

Let us know what you decide.

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Definitely Chicago. It's a great city with something (actually lots of things) for everyone. I've been spending a week in Chicago every year since 1988 and always look forward to going back.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I'll chime in with the previous posters ... I've visited NYC many times and Chicago a few times. Definitely visit Chicago; it's a great city and there's lots of fun things to do, and great architecture to see downtown. It's one my my favorite cities to visit!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM

What time of year are you going and for how long??? I promise you January in Chicago ain't fun. NYC is cold but Chicago can be unbearable. I really think without knowing you, where you live, how often you get to travel etc. it's impossible to answer for YOU.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM
LN

For me that's like saying "Well you live and work in Washington DC why go to Ottawa Canada??

There's no comparision between Chicago and New York - they are DIFFERENT!!!!
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:31 PM

Well, we just returned from Chicago. After booking the flights and hotel (many months ago), I found there was much more to see and do in Chicago than I could have imagined.

Chicago is FABulous! In every way! The architecture all about is positively amazing. Incredible! The people are really, really friendly. We found the city very clean and beautifully, very beautifully, landscaped everywhere. Prices (hotel, restaurants, public transportation - visitor passes...) more moderate than NYC.

Though streets were "busy" and full of people, not the mobs and mobs of NYC.

In the overall, we enjoyed being "visitors" in Chicago, rather than "tourists" in NYC. A difficult to explain concept, but a much "different" (for sure) experience.

We've always found the people, service (in the hotels and stores and restaurants)in NYC to be friendly enough (I would say now).

We've visited many US cities. In Chicago, we found the people and the service everywhere exceptional - reminded us of Montreal and Toronto, where the welcome is extremely warm and the service everywhere is genuinely extraordinarily relaxed and attentive (to everyone).
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

THANKS FOR YOPUR OPINIONS
CHICAGO WINS!!!!!! FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER

ITS A MUST TO RENT A CAR?
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
JJ5

You need to say how long you will be in Chicago, what time of year it will be, and probably also something about your party. It makes a ton of difference to the answers.

You will not need a car, IMHO. And there are tons of good Chicago threads on Fodors concerning logistics and other issues of importance for a visitor. Gocards are great.

www.metromix.com also
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:52 AM
JJ5

See the girls' weekend thread I just put to the top. It may answer some of your questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -