Amazing Race is on now!

Search

Amazing Race is on now!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing Race is on now!

Just a reminder for the rest of you, as I just missed the opening!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hasn't started in California yet. Please don't forget that not everyone is on Eastern time.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM

This has got to be the saddest casting yet on Amazing Race.

It's way too White, way too straight, and way to dysfunctional.

Part of the pleasure of watching the show is to see the average Joes and Janes trek around the globe. Instead everyone is way to argumentative right off the bat.

It was interesting to see Iceland though.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:24 PM

Whew, "dysfunctional" doesn't even BEGIN to describe some of these couples! I don't know them by name yet, but crazy entrepreneurial guy who screams all the time has got to be one of the most annoying humans on the planet.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:18 AM

I ended up falling asleep while the contestants were going to the glacier so don't know what happened--were the NY girls last?

And dysfunctional...Marilyn, I agree w/you! Colin and Christie look like they have their act together compared to that entreprenureial (sp?) couple! Egads! If anyone ever spoke to me like that guy speaks to his wife...
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Whooo boy - good thing you fell asleep. Wait until you get a load of the professional wrestlers!
Too bad... does seem a disappointing start.
And does anyone know which guy pointed the girls off in the wrong direction?
Hey, contestants, your objective at this point is just not to be last. Why start making enemies so soon?
Was NOT enjoyable to watch...
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 04:11 AM
caribtraveler

Dreamer2: I have to agree with you. Disappointing start. I think the only normal couple was the older couple. All the others have issues. Goodness.
OWJ: The 2 guys, best friends from Queens I think, were eliminated.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Cassandra

I agree it seems more like a circus than a race. You can almost imagine the meeting among the producers when they chose these people: "ah, yes, these two will be better than Colin and Christie, and we gotta have those wrestlers! Real television there!" The apologizing that some of the women do is painful to watch, esp. the one whose partner told her told not to use diesel in the car and later (when they were siphoning the gas out) said, "it was my fault, it was my fault, I'm sorry." The older ones are more pitiful, and all the "come on, come on, you're doing great, you're doing great" is beginning to wear on my nerves.

I still was fascinated to see Iceland, but it's beginning to remind me of endless Sunday afternoon drives to the country when my parents would fight about having gotten lost.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I agree this season isn't off to a great start. Like Cassandra, I think the producers were thinking that since Colin & Christie generated so much buzz last season, they would try to find similar couples. After reading the couples' bios on the CBS website, I had wanted the Brooklyn friends to win, but now that they have been eliminated I'll have to pick a new favorite.

I think that with the couple that accidently put diesel in their tank, it actually was the woman's fault. Her boyfriend (or husband?) asked her if the SUV needed diesel. She said that she didn't think so. Then she opened the gas tank cover, which was clearly labeled DIESEL. I'm sure it was an accident that happened because she was anxious, but if he hadn't asked the station attendant about it they would have been in a worse situation because they wouldn't have known until they were on the road and the car broke down.

Wasn't Iceland beautiful? I don't know many people who have actually been there, but those who have have only had good things to say about their trip.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:45 AM
bonniebroad

Marilyn, the entrepreneurial guy was, well, ........ the kind I'd like to strangle! And the wrestling husband would be in GREAT pain, when I stopped the car and got hold of him, had I been his wife......... I was sorry for the two guys who had to go home, two of the nicest!!! Iceland is very beautiful, and climbing that icy slope seemed to be a lot easier than I'd have thought (I still have a lot of exercising to do before I go on that show! )

Did anybody else get tired of hearing the word "awesome?"

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Anyone else notice the physical challenge has been ramped up this season? Seems many of the contestants are in peak physical shape, much more so than last year. Too bad - this makes it more a clone of Survivor, Fear Factor, etc. What I liked about Amazing Race last season was the fact that the challenge was more about planning and communicating, but now it seems the ordinary "chubbies" won't have a chance. The bowling moms would never make it this season...I too fell asleep!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Dressforsuccess

AR has always been third rate entertainment. Sorry, kids, looks like it's now worse than ever, so bad even the stalwarts are waking up as they fall alseep.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:59 AM

i think alot of the criticisms here about the show are a commentary on what the producers have done to try and make the show successful.

Yes, it's won a couple of emmys and I personally LOVE the show.

However, CBS has dragged its feet on renewing the show after nearly every seaon (even after they won their first emmy, they hadn't had a new contract yet!), and I'm afraid the dysfunctionality coupled with the sexuality is a byproduct of that.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Dressforsuccess, I'm am glad you like AR enough to keep watching! I find so few TV shows good enough to watch more than once.

I didn't start watching the last Race until a few weeks in, so I missed the beginning. It sure is hard trying to follow so many teams.

Based on just the one episode, my favorite team is "Dating Models" Freddy & Kendra. They seemd to be having fun and get along better than most couples. They were about the only ones that I would care to do anything with.

"Engaged Actors" Hayden & Aaron were also more interesting than most, but necessarily folks I would want to hang out with.

Keith
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:13 AM
iceeu2

Iceland was so beautiful. I would have loved the snowmobile ride.

Well, if the swearing wrestlers can find their way...and the entreprenuers can keep from murdering each other, then I predict both teams will stay until near the end of the race. Both teams are nuts.

I haven't picked my favorite team yet. Has anyone else selected a favorite?

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Dressforsuccess

Wow, Keith, congrats on the "close read" of the day award, lol.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I'm sorry dressforexpress.

When you said "Sorry, kids, looks like it's now worse than ever," I assumed that you had seen the show, not that you were giving an opinion based on on 2 or 3 strangers' coments.

Oh well! At least you liked the shows you did see (if you ever did see it), that you find the subject worth following here.

Keith
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Misspelling your handle was not intentional.

Keith
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Keith, dressisamess is blacktie/sobetraveller/leone/etc etc etc. He literally registers and un-registers every day, always with a new handle. Sometimes, like today, he's already unregistered - before noon! I'm sure he doesn't mind. He likes the attention.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:08 AM
GoTravel

Who were the couple that got eliminated? I fell asleep last night and missed it.

Who was that annoying idiot in the yellow jacket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -