B@B's in and around Portland area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am heading to Portland in early August. Am interested in finding B@B's or boutique hotels in or around the area. Am interested in antiquing, wineries, great food, hiking and the coastline. I live in Tucson, so really am looking forward to a change of scenery. This will be our first time in the Northwest. Have4-5 days of travel. Hope you can help me! Maria
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:28 PM

McMenamins Edgefield is one place you might consider. While not exactly your tradidtional B&B, it is a unique place, east of Portland, conveniently combined with a trip out to the beautiful Columbia River Gorge. The Edgefield is was once a "poor house" that has been made into a sort of mini-resort, with cool old rooms, several bars and restaurants, and beautiful grounds that include golfing.

See www.mcmenamins.com . Even if not the Edgefield, visit a McMenamins pub or hotel during your visit - it's a very unique part of the Portland culture.

Andrew
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM

Oh you will love Portland in August! The temps are perfect! We rarely had the a/c on last Aug and not at all at night!
And it is so Green!!
Here is a site to get you more excited about the sights you will see

http://portlandbridges.com/

And here is a site that might help, she lists B&Bs and rates them...

http://www.lanierbb.com/portland-ore...breakfast.html

If you want a good hotel, I can suggest a few, but you can also just put Portland Oregon Hotels in the search box and read threads that have dealt with this already.

The 5th Avenue Suites hotel is our favorite.
The Lucia
The Hotel Vintage (sister of the 5th Ave Suites)

Portland has SO many buildings that have been gutted and so remain charming old buildings with lovely new stores, hotels etc inside.

The East side of town seems to have more B&Bs also.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM

A few years back, I stayed at The Lion & the Rose, and at the Portland Guesthouse. They're neighbors over near Lloyd center. Nice neighborhood with with a bunch of cute shops and coffee houses nearby. The L & R is a bit more upscale, but the PG was very cozy and she cooked great breakfasts! I liked them both.

Since then, I prefer to stay at 5th Ave Suites (or my friends new home), but the times I did the B&Bs we did a lot of shopping in the Pearl and downtown and didn't feel we out in the burbs at all!

I think you might like Edgefield as well..you're very close to the columbia gorge and the great scenery there. It is only about 15 minutes to downtown too.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM

MariaPat, I don't know if it is still in business but my BIL & SIL use to love to stay at a B&B in Portland (am sure it was on the east side of the river) called The WhiteHouse. I remember looking at their website a few years ago and it looked very lovely. I am sure you will love Portland, it is a beautiful city.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM

There are a lot of great options for you. The Edgefield, which Andrew mentioned, is great. Perfect locations for hiking and sightseeing in the Gorge. Another place to consider is Bridal Veil Lodge, which sits right on the old scenic highway in the Gorge and is about 5 minutes from Multnomah Falls. These would be my two choices for places to stay in this area.

In downtown Portland, the 5th Avenue Suites is a beautiful hotel and in a super location. Walkable to pretty much anywhere, including up to NW 23rd area streets (boutique type shopping and some nice restaurants).

If you are thinking of staying in our wine country, then look into the Black Walnut Inn, Youngberg Hill B&B, or another McMenamins property called the Hotel Oregon. These are all in the McMinnville area, which is a nice central location for the wineries.