Search

Avis in Skagway

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avis in Skagway

We're arriving in Skagway through a cruise ship, want to rent a car to explore and hopefully see wildlife. I'm having a hard time contacting the Avis location (booked through Avis 1-800) so don't know where they're located. Does anyone here know? How easy/hard is it to get to the car pick-up from the ship dock?

Also, if anyone has suggested driving route I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:45 PM

The Avis location may be part of the Westmark Hotel. Try calling them to ask. It is within walking distance of where the cruise ships dock. No more than 5-10 minutes right by the White Pass Railroad Station.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Rob

I assume you are aware there is only one highway you can traverl on and that takes you to BRitish Columbia. There are few, if any, turnoffs off the highway eliminating sightseeing. The town itself is so small you could walk through the entire town in an hour or so. There are tours running up the highway that you could arrange for on the ship or on shore. When I was there vans were used for the tours and the driver stopped when asked. I did it twice and did not see any wildlife either time but it was an interesting ride.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:01 AM

Avis is now in it's own building- no longer at the Westmark, located near Spring and 2nd or 3rd??, walkable right off the ship. Call them direct but factor in the time difference. As mentioned- there is only one road- turnoff at Tagish loop but it is not paved and not permitted with Avis. I suggest you drive to Emerald Lake- 75 miles from Skagway, plenty of pull offs along the way, stop in Carcross, a small visitor center museum. Get to your library and take out a copy of THE MILEPOST and look up Klondike Highway- very detailed on areas of the drive.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:05 AM

The Avis office is indeed still connected to the Westmark Hotel building. I stayed there in May and it my hotel room was on the very same side of the street in the same building. The Westmark Hotel is about 3 blocks worth of buildings.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Avis used to be INSIDE the Westmark.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 02:51 PM
jor

I would not bother with renting a car if I were you especially if "we" is only 2 people. You will see just as much wild life on the White Pass Railroad and they give 3 hours of local history as you ride. We had a great time.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:12 AM

For clairfication- wildlife is extremely unlikely from the White Pass RR, and almost as unlikely from the Klondike Highway. Also a great place for information and enhancement of later Skagway touring is the Park Service Visitor Center- located on Broadway and Second. Free museum, movie, ranger talks, ranger walks.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:46 AM
JRB

Don't waste your time and money looking for wildlife in Skagway. That the railroad tour, check out the local museum and enjoy the experience. Wild life just ins't to be seen. I would advise you to enjoy the splendor of Alaska and when you come across wildlife, it will be a wonderful unexpected surprise and you will not be disappointed if you are not making that you number one goal. Just enjoy....

Jim
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:32 AM
jor

And don't miss the drag queen contest at the Red Onion Saloon. Last year it was in mid July. Might be the only wild life you see!