Where will my ship dock?

Apr 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Where will my ship dock?

No, I am not getting pathetically phylosophical!

I remember seeing somewhere a link to a site which tells where exactly the cruise ship will dock, either address or a map... going to Alaska it will be helpful.

The info I got from CruiseCritic on Ketchikan is "dock 2 across from Tongass store". Well, pardon me, where in the world is that Google is not helpful.

In San Francisco, all piers are on the city map, no problem to see pier 35 for Dawn Princess. Then what?
Apr 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Faina - There is the Tongass Trading company which I think they are referring to. We docked right by it and on google earth if you look at Dock St and Front St where they run together (it shows some pretty big ships docked just south of it) you will see the area. The trading company is a touristy building with souveneirs etc. Tours leave from that area as well.
Ketchikan is no San Francisco - you will be alongside a dock area no Pier 39!!! If there are lots of ships in port you could even go in by tender but I am sure your itinerary tells you if you are tendering or not.
Apr 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Ketchikan is so small you can see most of the town from the dock and the dock is on the main street if I remember right. It was 1992 when I was there.
Skagway is also small, we tendered from the bay there but there is only one small road from the dock to town so you really can't get lost.
All of the towns are fairly small and easy to get around.
Juneau is bigger but still small enough not to get lost.
Hope this helps some.
Apr 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, both! The longer I research, the more excited I get
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Wishing you a fantastic trip!
Apr 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Shanghainese!
Apr 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

For further references, found some maps on Frommer's.
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM

By the way, best shopping is Ketchikan. By far the cheapest of the 3 stops. If you are going Northbound, that's usually the first stop.

One more piece of advise before Mr. FainaAgain spending all the hard fought fuel refund on the sl_t machines ... Don't buy any jewery and if you must, support the locals and buy from local businesses. You will know what I mean after the trip.

Last fall, it was an issue on their civic election and they wanted to limit the number of jewery stores. They are all over the place. I don't know what was the end result but it was definitely a big issue.

Merchants go up to Alaska and set up shop for the summer tourist seasons, do not hire local staff and then close the doors after the season is over, reaping the local economy of the touirsm benefits. They move south, set up shop at the Caribeean and do the same in the peak winter tourist season.

I started a controversy here last year by making that same comment and was called a racist. Ouch!

Search this Thread