Austin for 5 days

Sep 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Austin for 5 days

I'll be in Ausin for a graphic design conference from Sept 15-20. I know nothing about the area and have never been to Texas at all. I'll have my evenings mostly free and would like to know what I should do/see while I'm there. I will definitely go to see the bats at the Congress St. Bridge. Live music (something more like rock than country) at a small bar would be nice. I know the ACL festival is happening while I'm there but it looks like tickets are sold out. I like art galleries and unusual boutiqes.

Any reasonably priced (under $20 entree) restaurant suggestions would be appreciated too.

thanks
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Check out austin360.com, for weekend happenings.Some uniquely Austin restaurants which are reasonable include Chuy's on Barton Springs Road and Shady Grove also on the same street. You don't mention what part of town you are staying in, but others can give you some other ideas. I am out of the loop on live music these days.
Sep 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Hello redhead68 - I'll try to get some info on the music scene for you. My DD is a booking agent, so she's waaay more in tune with that than I am.

Good question by ilovetulips about where you're staying. That would be helpful to know, especially if you won't have a car (will you?).

Sep 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

I'll be staying at the Marriot at the capitol.
Sep 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM

also check out www.auschron.com If you can, check it out Thursday, when it will be updated for music listings for the 15th -21st.

Plenty of very good restaurants with entrees under $20. Try www.diningoutwithrobbalon.com

Stroll S. Congress Ave (South of the river) for shops, restaurants, The Continental Club for music. Lots of rock on 6th St.

Friday and Sunday one-day passes for ACLfest are still available. After many, many years, I'll finally get to see Van Morrison Friday nite. I'm thrilled. For tix: http://www.aclfest.com/tickets.aspx

Sep 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM

You are definitely close to lots of centrally located live music venues and restaurants. You could probably walk pretty easily to some places on 6th St., but if you ventue to S. Congress Ave. or some of the places on Barton Springs Road, a car is a must. If the ACL Fest is as crowded as it has been in the past expect crowds at many places downtown from Fri-Sun. Hope you have a good time, Austin is great.
Sep 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Hey, I'm so glad you're coming to Austin for the first time! I hope it won't be your last.

Austin is the fantastic laid-back center of Texas (I've lived here 15+ years). There are tons of great places to eat under $20: Barton Springs Rd as others mentioned. Also, if you are 30+, you may enjoy 4th St (the Warehouse District) more than 6th St (which is usually mobbed by the college crowd Thur-Sat). Some of my favorite places on 4th are Malaga (wine/tapas bar), Fado Irish Pub, and Capitol Brasserie. If you like beer, try to run by the Gingerman (or Ginger Man, not sure).

For boutiques, South Congress has quite a few eclectic "antique" shops, and there's the area around 6th and Lamar for clothes boutiques (check out the Whole Foods headquarters and Book People too).

I hope you have a great trip to Austin!
Sep 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I'm going for one night with my sister in October, so bookmarking.

One time while I was in college ( a while ago) we went to New Braufels for their Oktoberfest. It is such a huge memory for me; the bands, the beer in buckets, the pretzels. We had a blast. Not sure how far it is, about an hour maybe, but that might be fun...
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Should I think about renting a car? Or are cabs or other public transport easily accessible?
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:43 AM

If you plan to stay in the downtown area, you can find cabs and some buses. I think I have even seen those guys driving rickshaws with people around 6th St. If you want to venture out to other parts of town, then you may want a car.
Sep 12th, 2006, 06:26 AM

We went to Jeffrey's on 9/11.
Super place.
M
Jun 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM

You should also check out the State Capitol, the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum, the University of Texas campus, and -- by all means -- a swim in Barton Springs if you can.
Jun 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Definitely rent a car while you are here. I agree that you must take a dip in Barton Springs. You could also go rowing on Town Lake - rentals are located close to Barton Springs on Stratford Rd. Eat at Chuy's or Shady Grove on Barton Springs Rd. Barbeque and oftentimes live music can be enjoyed at Stubbs on Red River, not too far from your hotel.

As the others mentioned - the ecclectic shops on South Congress are fun and you can catch great music at the Continental Club and have awesome TexMex at Guerra's.

2nd Street has fun boutiques and very good restaurants, La Taverna has wonderful Italian food. The whole warehouse district which includes 3rd and 4th street are interesting.

Could go on and on - but back to my earlier statement - I think you would enjoy having a rental car. Enterprise has good rates. May be difficult though if you are going to be here during ACL fest - I'd reserve one now.

Hope you enjoy our wonderful city!
Jun 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
mp

The OP is from 2006