Austin BBQ and Music help!!

Feb 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Austin BBQ and Music help!!

So my girlfriend and I are leaving in one week for Austin and need help with 2 final topics.

1) BBQ - we want to try different meats and different sauces/ seasonings. Where to go for a good selection? We will have a car and plan on driving to san antonio one day so willing to stop anywhere if need to. Fully expecting to have BBQ a few nights. So, I know about Iron Works - but where else and what is the best thing to eat there?

2) Music of course!!! We are both huge music fans - all types - and are trying to map out a good variety of both venues and musicians. So the questions are - are there any actual places that we absolutely should not miss and what specific musicians do you feel we should not miss if they are playing? Again we like ALL TYPES of music so hit us with everything, jazz, rock, punk, country, blues, pop whatever!! What are the hot Austin acts right now? We are both night owls and planning on staying out late and catching as much music as we can. We have been looking at austin360 and the chronical, but it's hard not knowing what acts are worth our time.

Thanks for all your input! Can't wait to see Texas!
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM

IMO, the coolest music clubs are off 6th street:

- Antone's in downtown - the legendary venue where all the great blues stars have played and where Stevie Ray Vaughn had his first performances (they are playing a variety of music, not just blues)

http://www.antones.net

- Continental Club on South Congress (a 3-minute/6$-taxi ride from downtown) - blues, rock, funk.

http://www.continentalclub.com/Austin.html

- For punk etc., Emo's is the right place:

http://www.emosaustin.com/
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM

We were in Austin last weekend and ate barbecue at the Salt Lick based on the recommendation of this board. The food was really good; I especially loved their beef brisket. They're known for their ribs. You can see them cooking it right over this big fire. It's in a neat location in Driftwood near Austin. I actually liked all the meat better without the sauce, which to me is a sign of great bbq cooking. I'd go a little bit early; the wait was an hour and a half when we went for dinner. We had two small kids with us, so we finally asked if we could just get something to go, and they served us right away, and we just took it all home with us.
Feb 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM

P.S. They had a band playing live music while we waited, and they sounded really good.
Feb 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM

If you're there on a Monday night, check out Bob Schneider at the Broken Spoke. Also, check out who's playing at Stubbs, Cactus Cafe and Momo's. There are a ton of other venues too. There's no way in the world anyone can tell you whether or not an act is worth your time. See who's playing, listen to a couple of their songs, and then decide.

Feb 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Ooops, Bob plays at Saxon Pub, not Broken Spoke. You'll find mostly country at Broken Spoke.
Feb 12th, 2009, 06:27 AM
J62

Personally I like Rudy's better than Salt Lick, for a couple of reasons.

1. sauce - I like the taste of Rudy's better.

2. speed & convenience. For me bbq is a quick bite to eat, not a destination. When I lived in Austin Rudy's on Loop360 was on the way home or always nearby if I was out and about. Rudy's is a place you stop in for great, fast food. Salt Lick is a more of a destination due to its location. I could meet at Rudy's with friends on very short notice and hang out with a beer inside our out back. You can do the same at Salt Lick but it's BYO, and a much longer drive back.

Both have excellent quality ribs, brisket & sausage. Salt Lick has a more unique ambiance (if that's what you call it)
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Another vote for Rudy's. It's a chain, but the barbecue is excellent. The moist and tender brisket is the best.
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM

We've eaten at Rudy's before and thought the food was really good. I liked Salt Lick for the atmosphere, and the fact that it seems like sort of an institution, been there 40 years, etc. The environment was pretty cool. All the Rudy's I've seen are always by a gas station - are they affiliated? Agree that the brisket was very good.
Feb 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Youall missed my favorite place for music and ribs--the town of Gruene and the Gristmill Restaurant. It is about halfway between Austin and San Antonio. I don't know if there is music at Gruene Hall during the week or only on the weekend. The place is like no other for atmosphere. Husband and I did a driving tour of the Hill Country, Austin and San Antonio last year (the report is listed under my name) and sampled no end of BBQ, ribs and Mexican food. We liked the Gristmill the best--better that the Salt Lick which was also good.

I can't remember some of the other places we ate at but they are in my trip report. I know in Austin we enjoyed the Oasis (I think that is the name) for Prickly Pear Margaritas.

Margo
Feb 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Margo, we think alike. I just went to the Oasis this weekend - great spot with a wonderful view, and we also love the Grist Mill. We always go there when we're in the area. I've never tried their BBQ, but I love their homemade wine coolers. Basically, I love anyplace I can sit outside on the deck I think!
Feb 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Did somebody say BBQ?

There's so many BBQ places around here. Rudy's is a favorite of ours, too, especially the baby back ribs and the fatty (okay, extra moist) brisket. Melts in your mouth! Come casual, tho, as you won't get plates and fancy silverware here, nosiree.

There's also County Line for a more refined restaurant, and their ribs are the big beefy kind. Good views at both locations.

http://www.countyline.com/

But if you're hankerin' for some really special 'Q, you should drive down yonder to Lockhart. It's the BBQ capital of Texas. There's Smitty's, Kreuz's, and several others. Our fave is Kreuz. Their ribs and brisket are top notch.

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml

For a change of pace, Austin has delicious Tex-Mex, and you're guaranteed to love the food and atmosphere at Hula Hut, located right on the shores of Lake Austin. Go early for happy hour on the deck, then get a table on the outdoor pier. Their burritos are plate-sized, and the Thai nachos - whoa nellie, yum yum!!

http://www.hulahut.com/

The Oasis mentioned above is an Austin icon. Food is so-so, but their margaritas are good. But it's the views everyone comes for. Built on the cliff overlooking Lake Travis, it's like nothing you've seen, deck after deck after deck. The sunset views can be mighty pretty!

http://www.oasis-austin.com/

Welcome to Texas! We're happy to have you! <)

Feb 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I hadn't been to the Oasis since the fire. I couldn't believe how huge it is now. They had some literature sitting out, and it said that they can accommodate 2,200 people now.
Feb 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! My mouth is watering. Can't wait to try out all that Q, not to mention the prickly pear margaritas We're leaving on Wednesday and returning on Sunday...we'll post a trip report.
Feb 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I adore Rudy's and Salt Lick. You can't go wrong with either, and when I move to Austin, I expect to gain 100 lbs. I slightly prefer the taste of Salt Lick, but just by a bit. Rudy's does allow you to more easily select whether you want a leaner or fattier brisket, as well as the other meats, so you could get a full range. Plus, I love the bunny bread and automatic handwasher. Man, I'm so jealous of you right now...

A friend said County Line was his favorite. Others loves Stubbs. I haven't had the pleasure of either, but there are many, many BBQ places you can try.
Feb 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM

I don't know if you're checking the board while you're away, but in case you are...

We just came back from our first visit to Austin, and in addition to Iron Works (which was great), we really enjoyed the bbq ribs at Artz. We heard a live solo guitarist (and vocals) while we were there too, and enjoyed him, tho' I can't think of his name at the moment.

We also enjoyed hearing music at Momo's, the Continental, Cactus Cafe, and Broken Spoke. Performers we particularly enjoyed were Freedy Johnston; James McMurtry; a young guy who came up for one song whose band is apparently called Beautiful Mistakes and who apparently plays regularly at Momo's (not where we heard him, tho); Alejandro Escovedo; Redd Volkaert; and Dale Watson.

Have fun and report back!

Mar 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM

The Salt Lick in Driftwood. Gotta Go! Try to save room for the cobbler with ice cream. We also really like The County Line on The Lake; you have to plan time for drinks on the deck before eating! If you want absolutely Austin and music, Stubb's BBQ is a must, must, must. Stubb's... great BBQ, music, Texas Pecan Pie, Serrano Spinach. For BBQ & music, can't go to Austin and not go to Stubb's.