Search

August in NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August in NYC

We will be taking our 14 yr. old son on his first trip to NYC the first of August. I need a recommendation for a Broadway Play he might enjoy. Where would you stay? We are thinking about renting a room at Union Theological Semminary because my husband graduated from there and they are now renting out "hotel" rooms for under $100 which gives us more "play" money.
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:59 PM

a lot of Teenagers like Rent
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:19 PM

I live in NYC and frequent the theatre. DeLa Guarda is not on Broadway, but I guarantee he will love it and remember it forever. (You will too.)I don't know anyone who did not enjoy it. It was supposed to close, but so many people heard the news and flocked to it! It is amazing! Telecharge 212-947-8844. Warning, it is an interactive event. You stand, well...move... (though it is so unbelievable you will forget that you are standing), so wear comfortable shoes. Wear jeans. (I don't want to give it away) Even if you go to a Broadway show as well, this is a MUST DO in NYC. It is in Union Square (NYU area) - Take the 4/5/6 subway to 14th Street/Union Square. Afterwards, you can hop back on the subway (it is always crowded - I take it until 11pm by myself) and head up to 57th Street to go to Serendipity for dessert. (see below)

Broadway: (get tkts in advance for one of these)
Rent
Beauty and the Beast - excellent
The Lion King

For dessert: Take him to Serendipity 3 on 60th Street betw 2nd & 3rd
If you like chocolate, don't miss ordering a frozen hot chocolate. The best $7-8 ever spent.

Re: your room - stay wherever is cheap, clean and safe. You are in NYC - you won't be spending time in your hotel room except to pass out! My mom (who lives in Queens) did a few home exchanges with people from Europe and had great experiences. It is free!

Other things both male teens & parents will enjoy:
-Intrepid
-Museum of Natural History www.amnh.org
-Metropolitan Museum of Art - Egytian -Exhibit & Armor Exhibit
-Central Park (Belvedere Castle, Boathouse, etc) map of park online
Have fun!
Email me at [email protected] if you need more suggestions.
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:28 PM
Bo

I didn't think De La Guarda was that great. It was 'ok', but i thought it was worth the price of a movie (and it isn't priced as such).

I think Rent is a good suggestion, but will also add Blue Man Group to the suggestions, as well as Stomp.

Blue Man Group would be my first choice.
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:56 PM

Be sure to rent a rowboat in Central Park, it is so much fun & cheap. Also, I have heard that the "Beast" is a really fun 30 minute boat ride through New York Harbor. It's supposed to be the fastest speedboat. Check out circleline.com

If you want to have the absolute BEST pizza in NYC, venture to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, it's a very quick subway ride from the tip of Manhattan, check out http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7330989/
Right near Grimaldi's there is an amazing ice cream shop, where you can sit outside with stunning views of the skyline. Check out http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/12037820/

The Bronx Zoo is a must too!! There is also a small zoo in Central Park that is fun too...

I could go on & on.......
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:28 PM

Stomp and Blue Man Group are good too. Though, I have to admit, I took my younger cousins to DLGuarda and they loved it.
How did I forget the Bronx Zoo?! Definitely a must see.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM

We stayed at the Days Inn in the Theater District and it was fine. Next time we will be at Novotel which we got at expedia for $119.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Took my girls (10 year olds) to New York last August. I did not see Rent, but I am not sure the content is appropriate for a 14 year old. Iwould read up on it. Lion King is an awesome show. All ages would love it. Beauty and the Beast was excellent too. (more of a girl's show).If you wait, you can buy tickets the day of the show for half price at the 42nd street ticket center.(right in the middle of the street).The lion king is only available in advance. But there are many other shows with excellent seats available last minute. Check it out.
There is a hotel called the Kimberly (near RadioCity) Like an apartment feel. It had a bedroom, living room (sofa bed) and a kitchen. I am not sure of the price.
We did the double decker bus tour around the city. The kids loved it. (There was a breeze on the top and it was very hot while we were there.)
There is a restaurant called Mars. He may be too old to enjoy it, but you take a space ship ride and then you land in Mars and it's all red rock walls with martian waiters. (Expensive, but good hamburgers are served.) My kids loved the Musuem of Natural History. No small town in America can compete. Statue of Liberty is a good sightseeing point. (It was closed while we were there-security stuff). Try to get on a cruise around Manhattan (South Street Seaport) Also, downtown the New York Stock Exchange, Little Italy for some italian food. Can't think of any more right now....Have fun and enjoy!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM

If you can get tickets, Hairspray is great. It's one of the best out there and is great for teens. Phantom is also a safe bet and Rent is a possibility (although I hear the teens like it much better than their parents). I haven't seen Stomp, Blue Man or De La Guardia but any of those would probably be decent choices as well. They are more performances then plays with story lines. I personally think Beauty and the Beast would not be a top choice for a 14 yr old boy. He would probably enjoy having a dinner in little Italy or chinatown (right next to each other) and I'm sure would enjoy a walk through Washington Sq. Park (where there always is some form of entertainment) and the Village area. Some theater district, teen-friendly restaurants are Ollies, Virgil's and John's Pizza. There are also some theme restaurants (ESPN Zone, Mars, Jekyll & Hyde), they aren't my favorites (loud, overpriced, mediocre food) buy kids do like the experience. If he' a baseball fan he may enjoy Mickey Mantle's.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:23 AM

Aahhh August in NYC~ hazy hot humid

Every visitor we have, no matter the age, gets to see Stomp and all have loved it. 14 is a perfect age!
You've gotten great advice here, I would also like to add The Intrepid to that list of places to see. He will enjoy it and you will too.
I second Serendipity, no matter what time of day/night, it is fun. Share a Frozen Hot Chocolate, just what the doctor ordered on a hot summer day!
We like to go to the Metropolitan Museum early, before the press of visitors, browse, hit the gift shop (if for no other reason that postcards!) then walk over to Madison and buy lunch to go at E.A.T.S and take it back to Central Park with you. Find a shady bench or sit on the grass and watch the people and their dogs
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:34 AM

Can't argue with any of the advice you've gotten so far. To avoid standing in line at the TKTS booth you can buy discount tickets in advance on a number of websites like playbill.com, hitshows.com & others.

As to the accomodations, if the rooms are at the school up near Columbia U. I don't think it's a great idea for convenience. More importantly are they air conditioned??? NYC in August is beastly hot.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:38 AM

Can't argue with any of the advice you've gotten so far. To avoid standing in line at the TKTS booth you can buy discount tickets in advance on a number of websites like playbill.com, hitshows.com & others.

As to the accomodations, if the rooms are at the school up near Columbia U. I don't think it's a great idea for convenience. More importantly are they air conditioned??? NYC in August is beastly hot.

Here's a website for a B & B on 93rd St & Madison Ave that other Fodorites have used. It was $93/night including tax. Not fancy (although the neighborhood is)

http://www.stay-the-night.com/accommodations.html

If you're interested in more info on the neighborhood post back.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:31 AM

I cant believe no one has mentioned going to a Yankees [gt;)] or Mets [gt;(] game for a 14 y.o. boy. I dont think my sons (teenagers) would leave NYC until they saw a game.
Other favorites of theirs-Little Italy, Chinatown, Canal Street shopping, huge CD store (I can't remember the name),& Central park. I wish they were more into musuems, but they are not. While we were engulfed by Ellis Island, they were bored. they liked parts of the Intrepid, but would have rather roamed around Manhattan just people watching and checking out the vriety of stores instead. They were fascinated by the diamond district (47th street) and loved shopping and eating in the Lower east side on a sunday morning.
Their favorite resutarant (that wasnt a chain) was Sammys Romanian Steakhouse, also on the Lower east side-Romanian/kosher style food, huge portions (one steak feeds 2-3), vodka served in blocks of ice (for the adults, not the kids),klezmer music, tableside egg cremes, old fashioned seltzer bottles on the tables. They also loved every deli we went into.
One place I haven't taken them, but remember fondly from my own teenage days is Puglias in little Italy. Not so much great food but atmosphere only to be found in NYC. Communal tables, lots of singing, red wine...what could be better.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:18 AM

Puglia is great!! But Sammy's is rather grubby...I thought it was not clean. I wouldn't recommend it. Good idea about checking on AC...NYC is terribly hot in August.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all the great and wonderful suggestions for August in NYC with a 14 yr. old son! I am so excited now!!! Not much said about staying at "hotel" rooms at Union Theological Seminary--- I just want money to spend on most everything else but the room since I don't plan on being in it a lot! However, I don't want to be in a depressing place either.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:29 AM

debnwade,
Hilton on Ave of the Americas gives a AAA discount and is around 150. per night. That's not much more than the Union Seminary and is a full scale hotel. Check into it....
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

We will be going to NYC from Louisville, Ky. I am thinking about flying to Washington, DC and spending one day and night there and taking a train from there to NYC. Anyone know if this would be a sensible approach. We have about 5 days in NYC and I thought it might be good to see DC also. I would like to get tickets in Aug. to see Phantom and wondered if Wed. afternoon is cheaper than evenings.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:43 PM

There is so much to see in Washington. One day is definitely not enough time. There are many museums and sights. I recommend Air and space museum. There is also a great zoo there. You might think of doing a whole separate trip for this or making it into 2 and a half days in Washington. 5 days in New York should give you plenty of time to see the sights. Phantom is a great show(saw it years ago). Good luck and hope you have fun. (There is a high speed train that will take you into Penn station in mid town Manhattan if you choose to do this.)