Search

August in Charleston?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August in Charleston?

I'm from New Jersey, which gets pretty hot and humid in the summer.
I'd be interested to know how Charleston compares, as I'm considering a trip in August.

Also recommendations for a good hotel(outdoor pool a must) are appreciated. Currently thinking about the Embassy Suites, as we will have a 9 yr old and a 19 yr old with us.

Would 3 days be enough for Charleston touring, since we'd like to combine our trip with a visit to Litchfield Plantation on Pawley's island.

ANY feedback is greatly appreciated.

We're also considering Montana...all depends on high high airfares go!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM

I am also from NJ and Charleston/Savannah area in August is many times worse. Think sauna. I went for a walk in Savannah mid-afternoon at that time of year and when I returned to the hotel the staff inquired if it was raining out - I was that soaked with sweat.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM

ljv, think "sub-tropical" humidity and about 5 degrees hotter than Jersey that time of year. We're talking sauna here! I believe I'd go to Montana in August!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM

It's not impossible--and I'm from CA with practically NO humidity. Plan your excursions well, stay at a place with a pool. Here's how we've done it (three years in a row): Gullah Tour (a/c small bus, excellent tour, see all of downtown sites); Aquarium and IMAX fill a late morning to afternoon; drinks at the Pavilion Terrace (one of the few places that can catch any breeze that's out there); boat out to Ft. Sumter (there are a couple of "dinner cruises" including a sailboat but we've never done it); playing in the fountain at Waterfront Park; NAPS!!! Followed by strolling. Drink lots of water!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Tell me what you think is "litchfield Plantation on Pawley's Island". It is a real place, but it is not a plantation tour, like there is in Charleston. It was the original plantation, and is in Pawley's Island--on the mainland. Then Pawley's Island is also a beach with a wonderful historic district since this is where the rice planters came from Charleston to escape the malarial mosquitoes.
Pawley's Island also has the Litchfield Golf and Beach Resort which is a large beach development--also at Pawley's Island.
If you wanted to come to Litchfield for the beach there is Brookgreen Gardens there--beautiful gardens, and also a zoo for the youngster.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I would add that Litchfield Plantation is still there--the original beautiful plantation house and grounds. But it is a B&B (I guess you would call it). You can stay in the plantation house. They also have a beach club house on Pawley's for guests' beach use.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM

The heat index with be between 95 and 110. The humidity will be above 85% and the air quality will be a lot less putrid than N.J. In Charleston, you won't have the ozone alerts that you get in NJ and around NYC.
The Boardwalk Inn on Isle of Palm has a nice pool and its on the beach. Its 20 minutes from downtown Charleston.
Check out the website and tripadvisor for pics and reviews.
Will
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM

ljv, coming back to say ... if the heat & humidity in NJ really bothers you in Summer, then I would not do Charleston then because it will be almost certainly be worse. BUT if you are not that bothered, then by all means, give Charleston a try. Sensitivity to heat is a very individual thing (bothers me, not my DH.)