August In Arizona

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Chris

August In Arizona

Going to Scottsdale/Tucson In August with two teens
How does the Loews in Tucson compare to the Hyatt or Princess in Scottsdale for teen "coolness"
Any other suggestions?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Coco

Hello Chris,
Loews Resort in Tucson is a beautiful facility. These hotels you mentioned are all topnotch. Comparing this to the Princess (has been a recent name change) and the Hyatt is about on par.
As you will have "two teens" on board, I would recommend the Hyatt Hotel at Gainey Ranch. Amazingly beautiful pools, beautiful lush landscape, water slides and a small man-made beach for the kids. It is awesome. There are also childrens'/teens' activities planned if they would like to participate. There is a small lake behind the hotel where one can take gondola rides, of course in the evenings, when it is a bit cooler.
Off the premises, up north on Scottsdale Rd., there is a fun zone: miniature golf; bumper cars, etc. The facility is called "Stix."
Enjoy. Coco

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Way

There's nothing "cool" about being in Scottsdale in August. Not exactly a big tourist place for August.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Carol

The Hyatt Gainey Ranch is the most unique of these. Loews is second and the Princess third (changed its name? To what???).
Rooms are best at Princess followed by Hyatt/Loews about a tie.
Pools at Loews and Princess are nice but a little plain.
Hyatt's pools and views are the centerpiece of the property. Rooms nothing special at all.

Why go to AZ in August?
Because it's cheap cheap cheap vs winter.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM
xx

Cheap doesn't translate into Enjoyable! Too hot to walk around, not alone lay out by a boiling pool.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
Loves AZ

Au contraire....
Just depends on what you like.
We vacation in PHX every July or August, staying at the Phoenician or Boulders. Mornings before 11 and evenings after 5 are great.
To each his own.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Coco

Message to Carol,previous post above...

Just to clarify my other post...The Scottsdale Princess Resort has been acquired by Fairmont Hotels and Canadian Pacific Hotels to create a new management company. Thus the Scottsdale Princess is now known as "The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess."
So in essence it is still known as the Princess you might say. This is what I meant by name change.
Coco

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:52 PM
carol

That was a few years ago (four?) that Fairmont bought the Princess, Coco.
I thought you meant they had changed ownership AGAIN (which would not have been a good sign). Thanks for the clarification, though.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
xxxxxx

If Tucson and Phoenix are sooooo hot in the summer why do so many people relocate to these areas.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Resident

Those of us that live here aren't doing the tourist thing. Most of us stay pretty much inside......work in our air conditioned offices, drive our air conditioned cars, or stay in our air conditioned homes. July-August is the time of year when we "wait" till the cooler, winter months when we can go out and enjoy the outdoors again.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:47 AM
audra

We also enjoy Arizona in the summer, with our two teesns.

Not only is the price right, but it gives us (and them) extra cash to buy souvenirs and clothes.

We have done this for years as just part of our vacations.

Plus, being there in the DRY heat is A LOT more comfy than being in the midwest with 100% humidity.

Chris: Go anywhere and your kids will have a great time. We personally enjoyed the Princess a great deal, altho we have yet to try the other two.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Jeanette

with two teens, no contest. They Hyatt. They can even get a bus down or up Scottsdale Rd. and go off by themselves. the other locations really don't allow for that. Additionally, the facilities are more 'fun for kids'. The Princess and Loews are really adult-oriented. Think: relaxing, pampering, etc. More pools at the Hyatt, as well.

If you do go to Tucson, consider La Posada, which I think is actually a Ramada property. Less than one mile from Loew's, so the scenery is just as glorious, but much much better for kids. It's a real treat for teens, and I'd consider making the trip for part of your time here.

Enjoy.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM
janey

You should take your teens tubing on the salt river. A great time (even my parents went with us) and a way to stay cool during summer heat