Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Attention Chicago Shoppers! Need suit for tall thin boy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off to Chicago tomorrow and am wondering if anyone knows a place one can purchase a dress suit for a tall, thin teen boy? My son is 5 ft. 8 in, and weighs about 115 lbs. There are, apparently, no stores in Seattle that sell to boys his size. 36 is too broad in the shoulders. Boys sizes are too short everywhere. This is for a one time use and he'll outgrow it in a few months, so I don't want to spend a fortune. Shoppers?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:47 AM

If they have Brooks Brothers you will be able to find something! We had one of those boys too
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:23 PM

If you can't find a suit, you might get a blazer and slacks, that way he would probably get more use out of them.

If you don't want to spend alot, I would try a local Sears or JC Penny, or the like.

If you are downtown Chicago, there are lots of clothing stores in the area, just ask which way. The Hancock Tower has a large Mall and that may be a good place to start.

Have a great time.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I have just the place - Pines of Park Ridge, about 10-15 minutes east of O'Hare. 847-823-1320 pinesofparkridge.com
It's a smallish, family-owned store with boys sizes up to 22. I took my string-bean son there three years ago and got a beautiful suit for about $200. Have since been back for son #2 - and they altered everything for free "for as long as I own the suit." They are just south of Touhy Avenue, a few doors down from the famous Pickwick Theatre. BTW, I had tried every department store around before I went to Pines, and as you say, the others did not have anything that would fit.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. Pines of Park Ridge looks like it might work. I may check for a Brooks Bros, too.

I actually tried about 5 stores in Seattle, from Nordstrom to Penneys. Penneys has great prices. Alas, I can find a good fit in the shoulders, but there isn't enough room to let the arms or legs down for the needed length. (I actually thought of buying two suits and using the fabric from one to augment the other...desperate times call for desperate measures!)
The blazer idea is a great one, but I have the same problems fitting a blazer as a suit.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Brooks Bros hems the pants for you, you buy them very long. That is why they always worked for us, he had such a tiny waist but long legs Still does~
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I called Brooks Brothers in Seattle. They only carry mens here, and aren't going to be carrying their boys line until next fall! They said I could order from their catalog, though, and they'd alter the suit for us.
This is very frustrating.
I called the Pines of Park Ridge and spoke with a great guy there who gave me a lot of tips. I'm planning to try Penney's again. When I was there, the 14 was too short. The guy at the Pines said 16 should fit. Alas, they only had "husky" 16's at the Penney's I went to.
Unfortunately, my son isn't accompanying me to Chicago, so this is making it more difficult. (I'm visiting my Mom who is having chemo). Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Greetings!
For my son I use Sears. They sell their "suits" as separate pieces - so you can get the right size pants and then the right size jacket. No buying two suits! As you say, they are lucky to get two wearings out of them before they outgrow. Also, Page 487 of the JCP big spring/summer catalog has separate suit pieces in Slims. Maybe a 16 S or 18 S would do the trick. Good luck!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:41 PM

Try JC Penney men's dept too they have waist sizes in 26 and 28 but lengths up to 36, at least at our store, which is also a Pines. My son was 5'9" and was 125 but shot up to 6' and 165 this year TG for puberty. Have you tried thrift stores or consignment shops, thats were his stuff went when they were outgrown but new. Good luck, to you and your mom. Prayers are with her.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Just in case you have been unable to sleep wondering what happened, I wound up ordering 20 slim from Penneys on-line and lo and behold, it is almost a perfect fit! For $68 with tax, too, for jacket and pants! I think I'm going to have to stop giving him milk until he fills out, so he'll be easier to fit as 20 is their longest.
Thanks for the support. It made me feel better.