Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Attending New Year’s Eve Extravaganza at Times Square

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in NYC this week and I will be in Times Square on New Year’s Eve to greet 2009 with a BIG BANG!! My question is, if I wanted to be front and center at 11:59 pm tomorrow, what time, realistically, should I reserve my piece of precious real estate? I’ve heard of talk of as early as 3pm but I can’t believe people will be there that early!! If I do go at 6pm, will I end up on 57th? My hotel’s on 31st and Madison so I can easily walk up to Times Square. One more question, can I bring snacks? A messenger bag to hold my camera/bottled water/extra scraves/gloves?

Also, of the many bus tours in the city, what’s the better company? Citysights or gray line tours? I can only spare a whole day for the tour and the tours they offer are either for 48 hours or for 3. No complete day package. I’d like to do the tour Friday but have to be back at the hotel by 6pm because I’m off to Boston. Any help would be so appreciated. THANKS!!

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM

A lot will depend on weather as to how crowded the streets will be. Did you read the FAQ on the Times Square Alliance website?
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Just remember whatever spot you have, you will not be able to return if you need to go to the bathroom. They are also predciting windchills of 5-10.

Enjoy.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM

OnBoard New York Tours
www.newyorkpartyshuttle.com
does a full day which includes a number of stops with walking tour and a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Like all such tours, the experience depends on the guide, but ours was a young musician who my teenagers totally fell for, and was excellent.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

They are also predciting windchills of 5-10.

followed by:

Enjoy.

Not possible.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:40 AM

The weather is not suposed to be good New Year's Eve. They're predicting a low of 18 - with damp and wind - it will fel like 5 to 10 - so youwill need lots of layers.

Everything you bring into the area will be searched by police. You can bring a smallish bag with snacks and drinks - but realize there are no public potties - and the pen you're locked in (one in you can;t move around) may well not have any place with a bathroom. You cannot bring alcohol with you.

Expect very heavy security - police in force, canine units, mounted patrols and very possibly national guard. (NYC is on permanent orange alert and all public events have very heavy security.)

People start gathering by 3 pm and the local subway stops are closed around 4 pm - when street closings also start. As people arrive more and more streets are closed. By 6 pm there will be a LOT of people there already - don;t know how close you will get. Not 57th st - but not Times Square either.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Can't fool you sf7307
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your suggestions!! Very much appreciated!! The only decision I have to decide now is exactly where to plant my feet.

Happy New Year everyone. May 2009 be a better year for y'all!