Search

Atlanta questions

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta questions

My husband has a business trip coming up in early March '07, and I'm trying to decide whether to go along (our hosts are willing to pay my airfare also) Neither of us knows Atlanta at all, and it's not a city that I've ever been especially eager to visit-- but I may be totally mistaken abt that. I'm wondering if folks that know the city fairly well can tell me whether it's a pleasant place to visit for a few days in early March. I'm not interested at all in shopping and I live around so many museums that I'm not especially interested in museuming. I love handsome cities where one can just walk and walk and be surrounded by interesting architecture, handsome parks and neighborhoods-- that sort of thing (Boston, Phila, San Fran, Charleston, etc etc) Is Atlanta at all like that? Are there other sorts of things that are fun to do in Atlanta. Thanks very much for knowledgeable in-put.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we're in our early 60's, will be travelling without kids, aren't interested in theme parks, zoos, etc. Love walking/hiking/bicycling. And great eating!

I think my husband's conference will be at the downtown Hilton-- a hotel I'd not choose to stay in. Is it ok? (If I go, we might decide to "up-grade" to the Ritz or the Westin or something a little more upscale than a Hilton-- unless the Atlanta Hilton is an especially fine one?)

Thank you!
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Well poss, we are all different but I will say I was in Atlanta last April due to an invitation from our Fodorite OWJ and I had a beautiful time in Atlanta! Atlanta has fantastic restaurants! Personally I wouldn't miss an opportunity to visit Atlanta. But my interest are a bit different than yours although we are in the same age group. Best wishes to you with your decision.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM

With respect to weather, the first week of March in Atlanta is usually nice, typically in the 60s and the flowers may be beginning to bloom. It's private school spring break so many intown families are out of town.

Atlanta is NOT a walking city like the others you have listed. The city burned in the civil war and most of the Atlanta's growth has come in the last 20 years so buildings are relatively new- not much interest architecturally. There are fun, hip trendy intown neighborhoods such as Virginia Highland and West Atlanta. Atlanta is a very green city in that it has a lot trees (in spite of how much has been developed). For parks, there's Piedmont park intown, the Chattahoocee River area north of town and Stone Mountain to the East.

From your post, I would guess that you won't like Atlanta. It's not a "handsome city". It's more of a giant suburb. It's a great place to live but I probably wouldn't visit it.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM

I hadn't read your 2nd post when I replied. Don't stay at the Hilton (or the Westin) downtown. Stay at the downtown Ritz or the Four Seasons in midtown.

We do have lots of great restaurants. Tell us what you like so we can make suggestions.

As for walking and bicycling, the Silver Comet Trail is an old railroad line that has been paved over to be a walking/biking/running trail. It starts just outside Atlanta and goes all the way to Alabama. I think you might like it. You might also like walking up and/or down Stone Mountain (you can take a tram to the top and walk down).
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I second Padams description and I lived there for 6 years.

HOWEVER: unless I were put out by doing so, I would certainly take the opportunity to visit someplace I'd never been before if my airfare were free. If I didn't find the place to my liking, I'd be that more appreciative of other places I enjoyed.

Attitude is everything!
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Atlanta is not a walking town but there are some gorgeous housing areas to drive through -- West Paces Ferry Road; Habersham etc. If you had a car, I think you would like driving the area.

Hard to tell what the weather will be like -- it can be 70's or 30's.

There are lots of good restaurants -- a local chain here is the buckhead life group -- chain may be misleading because the restaurants are all different -- there is the Lobster Bar for seafood and Chops for steak, and Pricci for italian -- if you look at the web site for the Buckhead Life Group you cnaa peruse the different menus.

you have not said anything you like to do besides walk. You might enjoy a tour of the Fox Theater -- build in the 1920's -- it is a really interesting place -- the ceiling looks as though you are outside at nught with the stars twinkling.

If the weather is nice enough, there is the botanical gardens to walk through.

We have a brand new acquarium that is enjoyable to go through.

Old May 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Come to Atlanta. If you plan well, I think you will be surprised.

Downtown Atlanta isn't that great for walking. There are great places to walk - and here's a great resource for visitors and locals alike. Check to see if your schedule allows you to join the Druid Hills (formerly called the Driving Miss Daisy tour) or Inman Park.

http://www.preserveatlanta.com/walkingtours.htm

Heck! If you want someone to walk with while your husband is in meetings, let me know. I'll join you!

You will probably enjoy Stone Mountain Park - and visit the Plantation for a taste of old Georgia. Lots of other things to do - including a nice 5 mile walk around the base of the mountain. You can also walk up the mountain - or take the skylift to the top.

Early March can be beautiful. The flowers are starting to bloom. Yes, the weather can turn cold - but it's usually quite warm and the "City of Trees" is beautiful. The Atlanta Botanical Gardens are nice - and if you are still in the mood to walk, Piedmont Park is nearby.

The Silver Comet trail is a bit out of town. Another option is to visit the little town of Decatur - nice shops and restaurants. The PATH bike path goes right through - in fact, you can BIKE to Stone Mountain from Decatur.

The Atlanta Preservation tours include a very nice tour of the Fox theatre.

There will probably be festivals and/or events when you are in town. I'll try to remember what happens in March.

Others have mentioned the new Georgia Aquarium. I don't know ANYONE who thought Atlanta needed an aquarium - and I don't know anyone who hasn't just loved it. It's definitely worth a look-see.

The Hilton is fine. If you are an Honors member, you'll be given access to the concierge lounge. If the Ritz is an option, by all means stay at the Ritz Downtown. The Ritz Buckhead is very nice - and Lenox and Phipps malls are just across the street.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ever so much for all the terrific responses! Truly very helpful.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:26 AM

I lived outside NYC and Phila and have to say our 9 years in Atlanta were truly wonderful, in fact we are thinking of moving back! IMO, I don't think there is a more verdantly GREEN city anywhere. The trees are amazing....have never seen the like anywhere! People are wonderfully friendly and there is only one drawback...traffic. The new Aquarium is great, but go during the week. My son lives there and he loves it. It is considered the NYC of the south by many people.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:16 AM

I spent 10 years in Atlanta and very much enjoyed my time living in-town. However, I always wondered why anyone would choose to visit. And reading your first post, I have to honestly say, I don't think it's for you.

Having said that, a free trip is a free trip.