Search

Anniversary Weekend In Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anniversary Weekend In Atlanta

Hello all,
Our anniversary is in April and we are considering a trip to Atlanta. We are trying to see all the baseball parks and thought a trip to a Braves game would be fun. I have done a few searches but wondering if Atlanta would be a good choice for us. We want to do some sightseeing (my husband would love the aquarium) but also love nature trails, parks, etc., and some relaxing time. We would like a nice place to stay to celebrate our anniversary. The CNN and Coke tours are not of interest, but Stone Mountain might be. Any suggestions? We are also considering Seattle, but I've been there and I've never been to the South and I like the idea of exploring a new place, plus we hope the weather will be decent(we're in Colorado). Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM

April in Atlanta is spring time at it's best. Stone Mountain should be in full blossom with azaleas and dogwoods. Plenty of trail opportunities at SM.

The Chatahoochee river has nice parks and trails.

The new aquarium is one of the best. Buy tickets in advance as it is often sold out.

I would stay in the Buckhead area. The Ritz Carlton is the price is no object destination. At a more modest price, there is a Marriott Courtyard or Hampton Inn nearby. All are on the MARTA line. You will not need a car for the ballpark or aquarium. Abundant restaurants in walking distance.

Shopping at Lennox Square and Phipps Plaza is pleasant and across the street.

You will have a great trip. Enjoy.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I liked your ideas about the blooming flowers and trails. Any other tips?
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I like Atlanta a lot. If you want to stay downtown, another place to consider is the Westin Peachtree. They have a great restaurant that rotates at the very top called the Sundial. I haven't been in about 10 yrs but the service there was incredible and I'm betting it is still the same. I hope you have a great time!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

I've been looking at things in the area and was wondering how feasible it would be to stay downtown, go to the aquarium, check out Stone Mountain and do a Braves game on Friday, then head out to the Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation for some relaxing Saturday and Sunday. Does this seem doable or do you think this is too much for a weekend? The resort looks fabulous and this plan would give us a chance to both see some Atlanta sights and get in some relaxation away from the city. If we stay downtown or in Buckhead, I wonder if there is enough for us for three days, especially if we don't want to do CNN and Coke. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM

When are you flying in? Thursday?
On Friday, you could do the Aquarium and a Braves game and spend the night - maybe at the Omni or the Embassy Suites near the Aquarium.

Then, on Saturday, stop by Stone Mountain Park on the way to Reynolds Plantation. Check in probably isn't until 3 anyway. Stop and and least drive around the beautiful antebellum town of Madison before you go to RP.

The Ritz is gorgeous. A great place to celebrate an anniversary.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Are you planning on gettng a car? Stone Mountain is not accessible by MARTA. I don't know about buses, but it is about 30 minutes from downtown.

If you do have a car Chateau Elan is a nice winery. It is further out and near the Mall of Georgia. There is a spa and lodge if you want a romantic get away.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Rockie,
April would be a nice time to go to the Atlanta Botanical Garden in Midtown, adjacent to Piedmont Park. The orchids are fabulous.
We have enjoyed staying at Four Seasons and at Mariott Suites in Midtown.
Phipps and Lenox Malls are the upscale malls in Buckhead, kitty-corner to each other, but unless you love to shop, I don't think there anything particulary "Atlanta" about them.

Stone Mountain is at least a 30-minute drive from Atlanta. You can get a nice view from the top, either by cable car or hiking up the mountain. (Realize "mountain" is used very loosely here since you are visiting from Colorado!) There are nice trails by the water at Stone Mountain. Even nicer are the above-mentioned river trails along the Chatahoochee River at the state parks. If you like to bike, consider the Silver Comet trail, built on a train track bed. It runs for miles towards Alabama.
I recommend the Atlanta History Center over the High Museum, for your first trip to the South. The Aquarium is also very good, but do get tickets prior to your visit.
Atlanta is spread out and MARTA is limited where it goes. Driving isn't too bad, just realize that every other street is named Peachtree!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate everyone's advice. We are still looking at what we want to do but I love botanical gardens and parks. We would not be shopping much and will probably get a car. We are contemplating coming in Thursday night so we have all day Friday to explore. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM

April is gorgeous in Atlanta and there may be spring garden and/or tours of homes in the area the weekend you visit. There's a lot to do in Atlanta. Piedmont Park (next to the Botanical Gardens) offers free tours on Saturdays too.