COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Atlanta 6hours layover

Old Mar 30th, 2019, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Atlanta 6hours layover

Hi Fodorites!!

Next May 2nd, I will be arriving at Atlanta International Airport at 4.15 pm, and departing to my home country at 10.15 pm.
I will be free of luggage, as supposedly Delta is going to move it from one flight to another without my intervention.

Do you think I could take advantage of this 6 hours layover to move out of the airport?

I imagine 1 hour coming out of the airport since landing, and arriving at the airport 2 hours before prior to depart, this would leave me 3 hours to do whatever.

Any suggestions will be welcome!

Tks!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Marta, the light rail, comes right into the airport. You could hop on Marta and head north. If you get off at the Civic Center Station it is about a 15 min walk to Centennial Olympic Park which has several museums and attractions.

It depends on the time of day. If you will head out and get back between 5 and 7 I would not recommend Uber or Lyft as traffic can be heavy. If you will be in town at night or in the evening, Uber may be better than Marta.

Don't get too ambitious. Give yourself plenty of time to get back. Even if all you do is hop on the Marta and take it North to Lenox Station and back again, you would get to see more of Atlanta.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't even consider leaving the airport. You are obviously not on a US passport so could spend as long as an hour just at immigration. Then you would want to be bac at the airport 2.5- 3 hours before you flight. This is a situation where I'd consider paying for a day pass to a lounge or a day room at an airport hotel
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 02:41 AM

Are you arriving on a domestic flight? If you are then I do not understand Janis' concern about an hour at Immigration
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dukey1 View Post
Are you arriving on a domestic flight? If you are then I do not understand Janis' concern about an hour at Immigration
oh Jeeze, I read it to mean arriving from the OPs home country, not flying ​​​​​​​to same . . .

so dukey is right, no immigration on arrival. I still might just pay for a day pass at one of the lounges. But yes, you would have a little more free time.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 08:14 AM

I agree with hanging out in one of those lounges if you can buy a daypass.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everybody!!!
I really do no want to be all they running so I'll hang out in on of those lounges as I have it as a benefit from my credit card!!