Reload this Page >

Aston Kanaapalli shores

Search

Aston Kanaapalli shores

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:04 PM
Sandra

Aston Kanaapalli shores

We have booked 2 weeks(June14-28) at the Kanaapalli shores and after reading some of the posts I am a little worried. We have 3 children(2,5,7) and I booked it because it has a kids club and also because I thought it was well located. It costs approx $330/night cnd which I did not think was cheap.All of our brochures showed it to be a 4 star resort. Is it really not a great hotel? Is there anywhere to go within walking distance or would we have to rent a car each day. Has anyone any experience with the kids club. Any info on the resort or area would be appreciated. Also what does a cab cost from the airport? Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:03 AM
May

Hi Sandra,

I am also staying at the Aston Kannapali Shores next month and was also skeptical about the hotel. I've posted the same topic here a few days ago and had many helpful posters informing me that it's quite a nice hotel. I've then decided to give it a try. There's also another post here a couple of days ago asking the same question. The post title was "Need Advice on Aston Kaanapali Shores, Mahana or Maui Hill". You might find it helpful to read through that as well.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Suzie

Kanaapali Shores is not located on the strip of Kanaapali Beach but north of there on the other side of black rock. You probably would not walk to Kanaapali Beach from this place. It's actually a condo that was built in 1980. I stayed there in 1983 so that's a long time ago to give you an impression of how it is today. We drove to the Hyatt back then to see what Kanaapali was all about. Since then we've stayed in the Hyatt instead.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Suzie

The Maui Revealed book indicates that children can only use the kids program for a maximum of 6 hours per week. You have to pay to use the fitness room and parking costs $7 per day. If you do not have a car on Maui you will probably not be able to see many sights.I personally don't think it is wel located for a family travelling with 3 children.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
gyppielou

I would really only recommend Aston, which I've stayed at twice, for people looking for an affordable homebase. The ocean is lousy, the pools ok. If you're kids want to be in the ocean, I'd look to Kaanapali, or Napali vicinity. GL

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Postal

I lived in Hawaii for three years and stayed at the Kaanapali Shores twice only because I found inexpensive rentals through Hawaii Magazine's classified sections and vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner).

As people have already said, the beach is not good and it's over a mile to the nice part of Kaanapali Beach - nice meaning where you can swim and where you can go to shops and restaurants.

That price seems extremely high to me. The units are decent and the pool area is nice, but I wouldn't have stayed there a second time without getting a great rate, which in my case was a studio for $80 per night from an owner.

I can't imagine why a brochure would show it to be a 4-star resort. Are you sure they weren't talking about Kaanapali Alii on Kaanapali Beach?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:15 PM
joy

we really liked Kaanapali Shores, we stayed in the condo section. The grounds are beautiful, the breakfast, and dinner at the restaurant there, I believe it is The Beach Club, has EXCELLENT food, and reasonably priced. We liked it very much and will be returning in September.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:45 AM
xx

Like Postal above my first reaction was that the price for this particular place is wayyyyyy high. I would never pay $330 to get something outside a resort area. But then again I believe it was $330 canadian if I read that right. Don't know the conversion.

Sandra are you still going?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Sandra

Thanks for the feedback(although it is not what I really wanted to hear). The price I said was in Canadian dollars and the conversion is ugly. For every $100 U.S. it costs approx. $160 cnd. So what would normally be a moderately priced hotel for most of you guys it turns out to be much more for us. I looked into the Kaananpali Ali but it appears to be over$500 night. I also don't think any place on the real Kaanapali strip will accomodate 5 to a room.