Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family with small children need help choosing where to stay Maui or BI

Jan 27th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in December (the week before Christmas) and are having a hard time deciding exactly where to stay. We have stayed in several beautiful places in the past and loved them all(Fairmont Kea Lani, Grand Hyatt Kauai, Four Seasons Manele Bay and Hualalai) but that was before we had children!
This time we will be bringing along our 2 1/2 year old, a 6 month old and my mother-in-law and will plan on getting 2 rooms. We are coming from Chicago and the easiest flights will be to Maui or BI. My husband now has Starwood and Marriott points, but we don't HAVE to stay on one of those properties....but we would like to avoid paying $700/night.
We like to spend time at the beach and the pool pretty equally and usually spend part of each day at the resort and then part off the resort hiking, snorkeling or scuba diving. I wouldn't be completely opposed to a condo/rental, but really want easy access to a pool and beach.
Any advice about specific hotels, rentals or even the best areas in Maui (we have heard the beaches in Wailea are better for small children) and BI would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Jan 27th, 2011, 05:10 AM

gohawaii.about.com/od/starwoodhotels/a/starwood_hotels.htm

Maui Sheraton or Westin beast beach very pretty although

personally prefer the Big Island for the variety landscape

volcanoes etc. always rent a car when I go there day trip out.

But with small ones Maui might make better sense.

www.spg.com booking best will entitle you to free upgrade

to best available sometimes suites for me.

www.betterbidding.com search Hawaii get great deals 70% off

there sometimes and still get the upgrades...

Happy Hunting,
Jan 27th, 2011, 07:50 AM

I can't help with Wailea, but if Kaanapali is a possibility, then I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Kaanapali Alii, which is a luxury condo complex in between the Marriott and the Hyatt. It's on a good beach, has a small (not resort-y) but nice pool. We've been here more than once, in particular when our kids were the ages your kids are now and it was great. The condos are enormous. Hopefully, Weadles will see this and chime in - I recommended it to her and her family loved it.
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM

I love the BI, but I think Maui is a little easier with children. There's less driving to do on Maui, and the beaches are a little bigger and easier. We stayed in Kaanapali when our daughter was four. She spend the entire vacation digging in the sand near Black Rock while my husband and I took turns snorkeling.
Jan 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM

I would think with 2 small children and your mother-in-law, a condo would be so much better. You'd have a separate room for the kids to take naps, a kitchen so you don't have to go out for meals 3 times a day. Kaanapali has lots of condos and many of them have pools. Don't think there are too many 3 bedroom condos but I found this one on vrbo. Looks like they even supply a crib. Don't know what the beach is like in this area. http://www.vrbo.com/328221wnerprofile

Otherwise you could get a 2 bedroom for your family and a studio for your MIL.

Wailea is pretty expensive but there might be something in south Kihei. Don't think I'd stay in the northern part.
Jan 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all-I have been thinking a condo may be the way to go as well. Still torn between BI and Maui Anyone stayed at Villages at Mauna Lani?