aspen/vail or telluride/ouray?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are still trying to find a summer destination. We have heard great things about aspen/vail area and the telluride area. We love beautiful scenery, rafting, stargazing, golfing, nature/hiking--and somewhat upscale accomodations--but my husband hates the heat. We don't love to drive long distances, either, but we like to stay busy. Vegging out at the pool in a $$$ hotel is not our thing. We will probably plant ourselves in 1 or two accomodations, and drive a couple of short side trips,if any. We went to Breckenridge and RMNP years ago with our children--loved it--this time we will be alone.
If we went to the telluride area, is it far enough in the mountains where we wouldn't have to be concerned about it?--also if we went on any side trips -- southeast utah, mesa verde?? Has anybody been to both and can give me a means for comparison? I have done some research, but its hard to tell unless you've been there. Also, we would be flying in from Chicago. Are there any large airports near telluride? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Hi Cathee,

There is plenty to do in the Telluride area, hiking and 4 x4 especially. Can't say about rafting, but I'm sure they have a golf course or two since I was there last. However, it's not a good base for visiting Mesa Verde or southeastern Utah as it would be too long a drive for a day trip.

Also, if your husband doesn't like heat, the red rock country in summer is not the place to go. Moab gets up over 100 degrees in summer. Mesa Verde is higher in altitude so might be OK for him.

If you are willing to do 2 places, Durango (for Mesa Verde) and Telluride might be a nice combination.

Telluride has an airport although small and expensive to fly in to. For larger airports I think you need Grand Junction or Colorado Springs.

Deb from NM can probably help more with that. I think she lives in or near Durango.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Morning Dale! Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Cathee - Let me ask a few questions that helps me offer ideas that work within your wish list:
- how long will you be in the area?
- What type of accomodations do you like: B&B vs. small hotel and price range.

This entire area is full of wonderous places to hike & bike, star gaze, scenery that goes on forever, ruins that are not to be missed, golf, rafting etc.

Flights:

As for airports -- you can fly into Durango on United but it's not cheap. Even more expensive is to fly into Telluride. You could fly into Grand Junction [not sure how much those flight cost ]
And you can fly into Albuquerque most likely for the least amount of $$. It is a 3 hour drive to Durango and then another 2 hours to Telluride.

Distances:

Durango to Telluride is about 2 hours
Grand Junction to Telluride is about 2.5 hours.
Telluride to Mesa Verde[entrance of park] 1.5 hours
Durango to Mesa Verde [entrance of park].5 hour

And I am not sure what you meant by,"If we went to the telluride area, is it far enough in the mountains where we wouldn't have to be concerned about it?"

A wonderful way to visit this area is to do a Circle Tour. Start in Durango, head up to Silverton, Ouray and then over to Telluride, head down to Dolores, through Cortez and to Mesa Verde and finally back to Durango. This can be done in a little as 4 night but a week would be better. Moab is 90 minutes from Cortez, but it will be hot in summer. But Arches and Canyonlands is specatacular too.

I can recommend places to stay along that route and places to eat too.

Just let me know what info you'd like and how I can help you make this a wonderous vacation.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Do Telluride.

Not that Aspen isn't nice, but.....
do Telluride.

There are also flights into Montrose which is about 90 minutes from Telluride. But I've flown into Telluride itself, and the landings and takeoffs from their little airport alone are almost worth half the ticket.

Debi, I did a double take at the way your distance from Durango to Mesa Verde can out on the message. For a moment it looked like "5 hours", instead of what you meant to be written as a "half an hour".

I'm also confused by the line..."If we went to the telluride area, is it far enough in the mountains where we wouldn't have to be concerned about it?"
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM

oppps.. guess that decimal points is really little ...sure is 1/2 hour from Durango to Mesa Verde entrance!

Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM

We did a driving trip throught Colorado a few summers ago and just fell in love with the state. We did go to Mesa Verde and it was a very worthwhile stop. We also went to Telluride and Ouray; gorgeous area. Telluride is a small town but in a breathtaking canyon. It would be an excellent spot to hike and explore from.
Happy Trails!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I meant is telluride high enough altitude where we woudln't have to worry about it being too hot? We will be planning a 7 - 9 day trip.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Oh! No, Telluride will be delightful with warm sunny days filled with blue skies and cool crisp evenings as the temps drop 20 to 30 degrees each night.

In 7 - 9 days, you can have an absolutely wonderful trip.

Let us know what you thought of the suggestions posted...
Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

The suggestions sound great. Do you think Telluride or Ouray would be a better place to spend more days? Would Arhces and Canyonlands be real hot that time of year? All of your comments are appreciated. I would love to make a decision by the first of the year. I'm usually all planned by now. (for 2nd week in July)
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM

I would do something like this:

Start in Durango; stay 2 or 3 nights. Some nice old time hotels and a lovely B&B to pick from and terrific restaurants. You can raft here.

Drive the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton [for a look see as there isn't much there; but not to stay overnight] from Durango, and then continue on to Ouray. {You could take the steam engine from Durango to Silverton, but take the bus back - roundtrip is too much of same thing and uses valuable time}.

Spend 1 or 2 nights in Ouray...Box Canyon Falls is neat and there is great hiking there. [Yankee Boy and Engineer].

Drive on to Telluride, spend a night of 2 there. Again, great hiking.

Drive from Telluride down to Dolores, stopping at Anasazi Heritage Center and hike Sand Canyon in Cortez.

Stay overnight in Cortez [either at a B&B - there are 2 really nice ones-- or at Holiday Inn Express]. Next morning head over to Mesa Verde and spend the day.

Utah will be hot in July for sure. Moab has wonderful sights and there is a wonderful B &B there too if you wanted to add it in.

Here are some links to other similar threads:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34895115

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34887440

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34865787

Also, type: "Telluride" "Durango" "Ouray" "Moab" in the search box on the top of this page and see LOTS of similar Q & A's. If you want specific names [hotels, restaurants] ask away. You can also email me directly if you'd like.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Its looking like I've found my destination. I'll talk to my husband, and make a decision and i'll look into plane fares--don't want to spends too much on that--as it is a hard place to get to quickly and/or cheaply. I'll ask more questions when I start to finalize. Think i'll get a travel book this weekend, then i'll have more questions.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I have another question. So many people have raved about Mesa Verde. What is its great attraction? Also will it be very hot there? I assume the canyonlands & arches area are very hot in July.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM

It shows the remainders of the Acestral Puebloans including where they lived and how they lived over 1000 years ago.

Here is some history --
http://www.nps.gov/archive/meve/park...rk_history.htm

And here are some pictures of the cliff dwellings:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/meve/clif...lings_home.htm

I think this will give you a hint as to why so many rave about Mesa Verde on here and elsewhere.

Debi
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Canyonlands and Arches are definitely HOT in July. We went there in July one year and although I'm glad we saw the parks, we couldn't wait to hightail it back to Colorado where we were exploring and camping. Ouray and Telluride were definitely our favorites. Durango was nice too.

Also, there was one other thing I remember about Utah at that time of year and that was the gnats. There were bazillions of them at Canyonlands and it made it difficult to be outside. Not sure if it happens every July.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Hi again Cathee,

So now you have some good suggestions. Moab (where Arches and Canyonlands are) will probably be near or over 100 degrees in July. Good time for a rafting trip though!

Mesa Verde is a special place. I found it very spiritual, but native American Indian places always affect me that way. The cliff dwellings and "palaces" are amazing, but do require advance tickets to tour and some climbing on ladders and steep trails. Definitely worth it as long as you are able.

Ouray, Silverton, Telluride are all beautiful. My personal favorite is Ridgeway. If I ever win a lottery, I'll buy a ranch and move there.

Save Moab for a spring or fall trip!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Cathee,
I was tickled by your question about Telluride being too hot - we went at the end of June this year and I too figured it would be warm. Boy were we shocked by the weather - had to go buy ski long underwear to keep warm in the PM (was at a music festival). The first 2 days wore a sweater and light jacket during the day (even in town). But then the last 2 days wore shorts and a tank top, even got hot at times. Talk about a flucuation in temperature!!

PS. DebitNM is a wealth of great info. Gave me a lot of good suggestions.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I agree with Dayle; I felt very spiritual at Mesa Verde as well. It was hot there, but very worthwhile. Nice and cool in Telluride!