Camping Alternative to Durango

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to camp for 3 nights (Sept 25 - 28)to see Durango, Mesa Verde and take the Durango-Silverton train trip. Planned to camp at KOA.

We don't have to have warm weather but in case it is too cold, wet, etc. looking at alternatives. Would it be warmer in Cortez or Mesa Verde due to lower elevation? If so, any camping locale suggestions?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Hi Juder,

I have just a bit of info for you. If it is wet in Durango, it will almost always be wet in Cortez and Mesa Verde as well. As far as cold temps, Cortez MAY be a bit warmer, but I don't think it would be enough to make a difference to me, and I am a camper too. I like the idea of staying in Durango to be handy to the train, as it is a long day when you ride it.

There used to be a KOA in Cortez, but I don't know if it is still there or anything about it. The Mesa Verde campground is huge, spaces pretty close together. But then, it is right in the park and has deer roaming about, which our kids used to enjoy.

Sorry I can't be more help. By the way, the changing of the aspen leaves is off to a good start.

Linda
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM

One of the alternatives would be the Kamping Kabins at KOA's - with heaters! We stayed at one in Durango and loved it!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM

There is indeed a KOA in Cortez - it would be less than a 10 minute drive to ENTRANCE of Mesa Verde [another 30 -40 minutes to visitors center]. The campsites at Mesa Verde are really nice and convenient for the park, but I wouldn't want to drive from there to Durango several times.

I live just outside Cortez and it is getting pretty cool at night. The temps in Durango and Cortez will be about the same, MV will be colder due to elevation.

We had a lot of rain yesterday. It snowed in the LaPlatas and in Telluride. Anything is possible here at this time of year.
Debi
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. I think we'll try to stay near Durango. If it's too cold or wet to camp, we'll try the KAO kabins or a motel.