Asheville restaurants

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 02:18 PM
arb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville restaurants

I have heard lots of good things about Salsa. Since I can not find a website for them, what price range are their entrees.

Your comments about the Melting Pot are also wanted.

Thank you
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM

We loved Salsas. It is kind of mid priced Caribbean/Mexican Fusion Restaurant. There were 6 of us all ordering something different and all were execellent.
Barb
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
arb
Original Poster

Thanks beachbarbie.

Anyone have any comments about the Melting Pot. Is it worth $50-75 per couple?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM
bamakelly

I haven't been to the Melting Pot in Asheville, but I have been to the Melting Pot in Birmingham and Ft Myers, which, I am assuming are similar to the one in Asheville, if not the same. It is a fondue restaurant. I think it's charming and fun; my husband never gets enough to eat and hates it. Basically, you have to cook your own food...you order chunks of fish, chicken, or beef (or a combo) and they bring you a pot of boiling water and some sticks to dip with. They also bring you an assortment of dipping sauces, depending on what you order. I particularly like the bread and cheese fondue (an appetizer) and the dessert fondue is super yummy, IMHO. Maybe you could go there just for dessert or something if you aren't sure you'll like it for dinner?

Also--if atmosphere is important to you, both MP restaurants were VERY dark, quiet, and formal.

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM

If you like Caribbean/Latin/Mexican food, Salsa is a great choice in downtown Asheville. It's not fancy by any means, but the food is good. Entrees generally range from $8-15.

The Melting Pot location in Asheville has closed.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:29 AM
arb
Original Poster

ThePhan: Thanks for letting me know the Asheville Melting Pot has closed!
Better to find out now instead of in Asheville in April.

I'll start searching for another
restaurant to fill its spot.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Salsa is very good. I would also recommend the Flying Frog in the Haywood Park Hotel. Wonderfully eclectic menu. Enjoy!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Yes, Salsa is great + it's casual and inexpensive. $8-$15 is about right.

Another inexpensive spot for creative Italian is Tomato. The location is out of the way, but I suppose that's how a place stays inexpensive. Entrees well under $20. Wine by the glass $6 and under.

Zambra is my favorite, but for dinner only, lunch is somewhat wanting. Tapas prices are $5-$12 or so, but you may want to order lots of them...so this one gets expensive if you are hungry and wine runs $8-$10.

Count yourself lucky that Melting Pot closed.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:41 AM

I agree w/ Litespeed CHick's comment on Melting Pot - they are but another chain and why anyone wants to pay those kind of prices to cook their own food is beyond me. They closed because of the flooding in Biltmore Village this fall. I am not so keen about Salsa's but do plan on either waiting or getting there early for a table as it is a small, small restaurant - maybe 12 tables? so it fills up quickly.
What are you looking for as far as price or cuisine and I can suggest more. I also 2nd the Tomato's recommendation - it is one of our favorites.