Reload this Page >

Artificial tan needed

Search

Artificial tan needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:10 PM
diane

Artificial tan needed

We are leaving for Hawaii in a week and wish to give our very pale skins some artifical tan before we go. Does anyone have a brand to suggest to us? My limited experience of several years ago resulted in a rather orangy shade that I wasn't pleased with.

Two more questions: If I reapply the product two or three days in a row, will the shade of tan on my skin get darker? How long does this "tan" last? Don't worry--I know enough to use plenty of sun protection on top of the artificial tan.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:26 PM
xxx

I have been very happy with Coppertone's new Endless Summer brand - in light/medium shade. It applies very easy with no orange or streaking.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:29 PM
Katy

Do a search for 'Mystic Tan'. If there is one in your area it is worth a try. You go into a booth and a fine mist of self-tanner is applied on your entire body. Not very expensive, either. Said to be very even and natural looking.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:31 PM
beauty school dropout

Hollywood Tan is a chain of tanning parlours that has spray-on tans for about $25. You go into a booth and imagine a car-wash - you get drenched with color from a nozzle.

Other than that, stick to tan-in-a-bottle in light shades. It does deepen if you apply it consecutively, but make sure your skin is properly exfoliated first to avoid patchi-ness, and I would apply it every other day, not every day to avoid too much of a fake look. It should last about a week or so, depending on the texture of your skin.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:41 PM
curious

Do you get a natural tan through the bottled tan if you are exposed to the sun? In other words, if you are in the sun during the week that you have the fake tan, when it wears off will you have a natural tan underneath?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:59 PM
x

curious,yes-it is just a stain on your skin so you can still get a sun burn or tan.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:56 PM
Maiile

Remember too, that if you go into a poolwith chlorine - it will bleach out the fake tan. At least it does to me.
Congratulations - wish I were going too.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Cheryl

I have been self tanning for a few years and it works well for me since I don't really tan well in the sun and I get so bored laying out. I like Au Courant products with the bronzer in it so I have color right away. Without the bronzer it takes up to 3 hours to "tan". I generally have to reapply every 4 days or so. Check out sunless.com. This is a great site for product recommendations and detailed information on how to apply the self tanner! I also use tanforless.com to purchase the products. I am leaving for Myrtle Beach Wednesday and am doing the same thing so I don't look so white on the beach. Have a great time in Hawaii!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:23 AM
Statia

Here's a tip I've found to work well:

Exfoliate first, apply moisturizer, use tanner, moisiturize again. This helps keep the tanner from accumulating in the knee and elbow areas, and spreads it more evenly. Re-apply as necessary...a couple of times per day will probably work well for you, Diane.

Have fun.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:50 AM
Sue

I have used No-Ad Medium for several years - very inexpensive compared to other brands & looks the most natural. During spring & summer I apply it all over every morning. During fall & winter I use it mainly on my legs (here in Georgia we wear shorts year-round). Non-streaking, non-greasy.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:35 AM
Danna

Try Lancome's Flash Bronzer (the creme). It has a tint already, which not only lets you look dark right away, but helps you avoid streaks as you are putting it on - very important. It also has a little shimmer in it. I shopped around for years before I discovered this one.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
xx

I use the Mystic Tan at Florida Sun Tanning Salons. I am pleased with it. The only thing to watch for is the feet -- mine are not as smooth looking with the tan as the rest of me, no matter what I do. Contrary to what someone said earlier, I think it is relatively expensive. Where I live, it is $70 for 5 sessions. I need to go once every 5-6 days.
Good luck, and have a good vacation!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:03 AM
floridagirl

Definitely the Lancome flash bronzer. Make sure it's the cream, not the mousse. I tried the mousse, and it took FOREVER to dry, and wasn't very dark. The cream is the best I've tried, and makes your skin feel very soft, with no streaking.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:27 AM

ttt

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:42 AM
Michelle

I've been using the Clinique bronzer for the last couple of weeks and it's working pretty well for me. Tan usually lasts for about 2 days and then I re-apply. I've also used Clarins which I liked very much as well.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
Beautyqueen

I live in the Uk and St Tropez fake tan has taken the UK by storm it is about £15 - £20 a (small) bottle but worth it - A truely realistic tan - I will be visiting FL next month and will use this b4 I go.

See if you can get it.

Alernativly I suggest:
Clarin Self tan gel (Give a paler tan apply two coat for a nice colour)

Lancome flash bronzer is good and you can get it in a spray applicator - Useful if you are worried about applying.

By the way all the fake tans I have suggested do not have that classic weird fake tan smell.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Sela

Anybody tried Estee Lauder self-tanner with bronzer? I'm curious to know about it.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Gayle

I was sooo reluctant to try these products until I saw a friend who used Coppertone Endless Summer and it looked so natural.

Every Sundy morning I exfoliate with Biotherm body scrub (in a tube) while in the shower, then shave my legs. Right after I dry off, I use one full squeeze (one pump)and then do from the ankle about midway up the thigh, both sides rubbing it in as I would bpdy lotion until absorbed(I am short so if you have really long legs it will take more product), then another squeeze for the rest of the upper thigh and back of thigh. I then do a little dab on my hands rub them together and lightly brush across the top of the foot, lightly across the ankle, staying away from the heel. This products soaks in instantly like a good body lotion and you have results in 30 minutes. So, if you get a streak, you can use a bit more to even out. I am very fair skinned and find that once a week use is fine. The more you apply the darker you'll get so be careful. I use the medium shade. Wash your hands right after applying, with soap and water. You'll find it's a very natural shade.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
linda

I liked Endless summr, but found that it crept into every crease when I perspired( neck, arm, etc.) I still like Neutrogena Dark tanning foam. It dries instantly and I don't get streaks with it.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
a

I liked the look of Endless Summer but it was the one product that my husband absolutely hated the smell of. I switched to Neutrogena (I actually like the lotion better than the foam) Deep Glow and get numerous compliments on my tan. The lotion has SPF 8 in it which is a benefit. My sister and sister-in-law use it too.