question about sunglasses

Apr 20th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

question about sunglasses

I realize I should know the answer to this question by now, but I still don't.

If sunglasses are polarized, then does it matter how dark the lenses are in terms of what kind of protection they provide the eyes? I have two pairs of polarized glasses but neither one has lenses that are particularly dark. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks!
Apr 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I know that some manufacturers make sunglasses that allow you to interchange your lenses in your frames according to the current light condition. But I only wear polarized sunglasses and mine aren't particularly dark either. A friend who used to be an optician always told me to buy polarized, but never said a word about color, so I don't know that it's all that important.
Apr 21st, 2007, 06:00 AM

Polarization is very effective at cutting down glare without having to cut down light too much, so they don't have to be too dark. You can get polarized lenses with UV protection also. The most neutral color is a gray-green color. The scene you looking at is seen in its' true colors when you look thru gray-green lenses. Gray-green is also a soothing/cooling color when it's hot outside.
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your responses. I appreciate it!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM

Emily,
I wondered the same thing.My sunglasses are also polarized but not that dark.They have the greenish lenses.

I am one of those people who cannot go without my sunglasses...my eyes are very sensitive and will water really bad and I also get a headache from squinting (spelling?).

Christie