Search

Armpit of America

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Julie

Armpit of America

There's an interesting article in today's Washinton Post that addresses this topic. Thought some here might be interested since this is a topic that's been debated here on more than one occasion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31628-2001Nov28.html

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:18 AM
Jerry

The article was not politically correct because it had a white collar college eduacted town is superior bias.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Chris

Interesting article. I've actually driven through Battle Mountain and have to say I agree with the Washington Post. Not a place I'd want to visit or spend any amount of time. Thanks for the link.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:18 PM
charles

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 06:52 AM
Ann

I've read Jerry's posting 7 times now, and can't quite figure it out. Maybe he needs some white-collar education.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:04 AM
Maria

Ann - I think that maybe I can help you understand Jerry's post. I am almost sure that it was jab at another poster yesterday. The post was something stupid about Blue Collar workers in the US. It created quite a thread. I see that the thread has been deleted. Lately this board has been filled with dumb posts and even dumber answers. The moon is no longer full, so maybe everything will get back to normal. Hope this answers your question.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:00 AM
dumbposter

Maria: How much longer will people read the fodors site when the most interesting posts ask about the best places to eat in Orlando. Those dumb posts you talk about make it interesting.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:09 AM
Maria

I was referring to the blue collar post"Dumbposter", I never mentioned the Orlando post. Read the question and answer again. I was talking only about the thread yesterday.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:12 AM
Maria

Fodors also deleted all of the horrific threads on this post from yesterday.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:43 AM
billy

Well this town sounds pretty bad but I bet the writer has never been to Attica, Kansas or Spivey, Kansas - truly armpits........oh Attica home of the good old redneck. I am so glad I am from there ...far far far from there

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:12 AM
just wondering

Billy Bob, are you talking about Attica Prision in Upstate NY?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:46 AM
grammarian

Jerry should have hyphenated white-collar-college-eduacted-town-is-superior. It was a compound adjective. Read it again: white-collar-college-eduacted-town-is-superior bias. The article had a bias of white-collar-college-eduacted-town-is-superior.

Hope that helps.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:07 PM
d

I couldn't call up the article with the address. Can someone summarize the article and give me the Headline?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 02:30 PM
xxx

This link seems to be working fine for me. Title of the article is, "Why not the Worst?" Discusses the Washington Post's search for the so-called, "Armpit of America." Their choice was a city called Battle Mountain, NV, which beat out a long list of other wonderful places including; Gary, IN; Branson, MO; Fargo, ND; Elizabethtown, NJ; and Scranton, PA to name just a few.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:54 PM
ttt

Been done, as I said.